SecureID in place of passphrase

From: John Brightwell (brightwell_151_at_yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 05/29/03

    Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 14:34:37 +0100 (BST)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Dear All

    Do you know whether it's possible to use SecureID to
    gain access to the private key, in place of a
    passphrase?

    Background:
    It may seem like an odd request - I realise that the
    authentication to the server can be by SecureID
    instead of via private key (and that would be a more
    secure solution ... probably)

    I would like our admins to be able to swap between
    machines transparently (using ssh-agent) but I want to
    be absolutely sure that it is they who originally
    unlock the key ... so I'd like to use two factor
    authentication rather than a passphrase to access the
    key that is used by ssh-agent.

    If I authenticate to the server(s) using SecureID then
    they have to use it every time they move to a new
    machine.

    I suppose that I can require that the machine that
    they use as a client requires SecureID for
    authentication, which isn't quite as good .... but if
    you know how to authenticate access to the key with
    SecureID that'll be great.

    Many thanks

    John

    • Re: Break in at RSA
      ... Any breach of the system means that it will be easier for attackers to get into any systems that use SecureID for authentication. ... the firm RSA, would it be feasible for a bad worker of the firm RSA to ... This breach may been that attackers can create counterfeit cards, but they still have the problem of the users' passwords to deal with. ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Re: Ideas please
      ... Have you seen the price of a secureID installation? ... copy kept by an AA (Authentication Authority) ... Software client can be tampered ... computers. ...
      (sci.crypt)
    • Two Factor Authntication project
      ... recently I were looking at the RSA SecureId authentication system. ... Isn't there already some open source project doing this? ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • OpenSSH IRIX
      ... I really want to use UseLogin yes in the sshd_config so it uses /bin/login ... for authentication (We use SecureID auth). ... -h or -p to fix env. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Someones knocking on my door
      ... advising people about secure authentication while they're travelling ... authentication devices like SecureID and real one-time-passwords are ... but you also need the physical possession of the ... _two_ SecureID cards to provide the passcodes needed to access over ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)