Bad host name error

From: Anne Marie Pemberton (apembert_at_smtp.hq.nasa.gov)
Date: 05/23/03

    Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:27:36 -0400 (EDT)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hello, I thought I had ssh configured correctly, but when I go to connect to a
    host, I received the message:

    SSH Version 1.2.26 [sparc-sun-solaris2.8], protocol version 1.5.
    Standard version. Does not use RSAREF.
    jasmine: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
    jasmine: ssh_connect: getuid 100 geteuid 0 anon 0
    Bad host name: "servername"

    When I enter it's IP address, it works just fine.

    In sshd_config, there are IP addresses for the hosts in Allow Hosts.

    I've looked into ssh_config and compared it with other systems, and each line
    looks the same.
    I've also checked /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/defaultrouter and they contain the
    information that they should.

    Any ideas, what have I done wrong? I've looked into O'Reilly's SSH book but the
    error I'm getting isn't covered in Problems and Solutions.

    Anne Pemberton
    NASA HQ

    • Bad Host Name
      ... Standard version. ... Does not use RSAREF. ... jasmine: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config ... Bad host name: "servername" ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: Bad host name error
      ... Anne Marie Pemberton wrote: ... >Standard version. ... Does not use RSAREF. ... Does 'host servername' return the correct IP? ...
      (SSH)
    • Internal Procedure Standard Change
      ... I believe the statement that is causing all the problem is 12.2.2.2-2 in the 2008 standard. ... that the name of the internal procedure is not a global identifi er, an internal subprogram shall not contain an ENTRY statement, and the ... internal subprogram has access to host entities by host association." ... Suppose you went to see a play and just before the performance the announcer comes on stage and says ...
      (comp.lang.fortran)
    • Re: Internal Procedure Standard Change
      ... In the case of an intentdummy argument in the host being modified ... subroutine myhost ... Now according to "AS" clause of the standard the variables of the host are made available to the internal procedure as 'Host associated variables'--for simplicity let's just say module variables. ...
      (comp.lang.fortran)
    • Re: Server performance report
      ... I'm running SBS 2003 standard edition, ... Taking out the host ... header information fixed the problem. ...
      (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)