'/dev/random' Without PRNGD Running

Debra.Talley_at_VerizonWireless.com
Date: 05/09/03

    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 11:39:13 -0700

    Has anyone ever run openssh on a Unix Platform with '/dev/random' being your
    only source for random number generation?

    Has anyone experienced issues with PRNGD (with or without /dev/random being
    loaded) locking up an ssh session due to lack of numbers?

    I'm looking for some PROs and CONs to running '/dev/random' by itself
    (inclusive of zlib 1.1.4, openssl0.9.7, openssh3.5p1).

    Any comments would be appreciated.

    • Re: prngd usage on OpenSsh4.3p2
      ... AIX 5.1 and I am trying to build it with prngd ... At OpenSSH build time, if the RNG isn't self-seeded configure automatically builds "ssh-rand-helper", which is an external process that runs around collecting entropy from various sources, mashing them together and returning the result to whichever process ran it. ...
      (SSH)
    • RE: prngd usage on OpenSsh4.3p2
      ... my company is switching over to ssh and we have an old RS6000 ... Subject: prngd usage on OpenSsh4.3p2 ... OpenSSL itself checks if there's a decent entropy source on your system ... At OpenSSH build time, if the RNG isn't self-seeded configure ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: prngd and AIX 5.3
      ... > I have a person asking me if prngd is needed for openssh on aix 5.3, ... > have always had prngd but I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true ... You don't need prngd on AIX 5.2 as it has a real kernel-based random ... Most modern OpenSSLs will search for a random device first, ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: OpenSSh on OpenServer
      ... Subject: OpenSSh on OpenServer ... Couldn't connect to PRNGD socket ... * the prngd start script uses a pid file but doesn't handle it sanely and so ... the lockfile exists, and refuses to stop (or do other stop related actions ...
      (comp.unix.sco.misc)
    • Re: Open SSH v3.6.1p1
      ... On my old Solaris 2.6 i used this complie option for using prngd: ... support and to specify a PRNGd socket. ... AV> I'm following the IBM tutorial:Deploying OpenSSH on AIX ...
      (SSH)