RE: ssh help - Red Hat LINUX 7.3

From: Koenig, Jeff (Jeff.Koenig_at_experian.com)
Date: 05/02/03

    To: "'krt@iteris.com'" <krt@iteris.com>, secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 16:24:52 -0500

    Make sure ssh is installed.
    Example:
    # rpm -qa |grep ssh
    openssh-clients-3.1p1-6
    openssh-3.1p1-6
    openssh-askpass-gnome-3.1p1-6
    openssh-server-3.1p1-6
    openssh-askpass-3.1p1-6

    To see what runlevel you are at.
    Example (shows at runlevel 3):
    # runlevel
    N 3

    Check if sshd is enabled for your run level.
    Example (This is what my Redhat 7.3 box shows):
    # chkconfig --list sshd
    sshd 0:off 1:off 2:on 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

    To set your server so that sshd starts automaticlly for runlevel 2, 3, 4 and
    5, run this:
    # chkconfig --level 2345 sshd on

    See if sshd is currently running.
    Example:
    # ps -ef|grep sshd
    root 1030 1 0 14:32 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd
    root 2351 1030 0 15:11 ? 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd

    If sshd is not currently running, start it.
    Example:
    # service sshd start
    Starting sshd: [ OK ]

    The default /etc/ssh/sshd_config daemon file should allow sshd to work, but
    to make modifications, modify this file (then restart sshd):
    vi /etc/ssh/sshd_config
    service sshd restart

    Jeff

    • Re: ssh with tcp_wrappers!! contd/-
      ... Thanks a lot for such a huge response, of course typing mistake, i was using DenyHost not DenyGhost; as suggested by david and others i did this, ... Login, as root, to my Linux system containing the sshd server. ... i am not willing to compile openssh package is there any way out via rpm installation. ... Then try to ssh to localhost. ...
      (RedHat)
    • Re: use ipchains to block all ports > 60,000
      ... else going on here except sshd which allows me to log in and monitor the ... Telnet not running but here's the ouput of ssh -V and sshd -V ... OK, ran that from an external box and it showed open ports 22, 80, plus ... My ISP looked for evidence of massive scans emanating from my ip address ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • remote administration of upgrades
      ... server that I administer runs FreeBSD 4.8, ... have ssh access to ... don't want to fubar sshd and then not be able to ... kill only the ...
      (freebsd-questions)
    • Re: Is OpenSSH 3.5p1 secure?
      ... Do not allow root access over ssh. ... Do allow access over ssh for one and only one user. ... Here are a couple specific recommendations for you that you may wish ... Make sure your Protocol 2 RSA or DSA sshd keys are at the very ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: trouble with OpenSSH_3.4p1
      ... >> I restarted sshd after the install.. ... >> Notice that the pid is owned by sshd, but an lsof of the file indicates ... to ports which were normally used by ssh. ... > the machines dorectly, i coul.d still log in using my original password. ...
      (comp.security.ssh)