ssh help - Red Hat LINUX 7.3

From: Karl Tipple (krt_at_iteris.com)
Date: 05/02/03

    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:18:38 -0700

    To Whom It May Concern:

    I have ssh version 3.1p1 installed on my Red Hat LINUX 7.3 box, and am
    trying to log into it from a Windoz 98 box using the "PuTTY" client designed
    for this purpose. So far, all I get is a perpetually blank terminal window.

    I've verified that BOTH machines are connected to my Ethernet network and
    can "ping" each other. I can also use regular ftp and telnet with no
    problems.
    From all of this, I assume I have left something out of the configuration or
    setup.
    PuTTY seems fairly straight forward.

    The problem and the question:
    I have RTFM repeatedly on ssh, but I'm STILL clueless as to how to configure
    ssh prior to its first use. Are there any plain-language "ssh for Dummies"
    instructions
    published for first-time novice users of ssh?

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    --Karl

    • Re: ssh - cannot log in
      ... If I were using a Linux ssh client, I would turn on the debug option. ... Does Putty have a debug window one could look at which might give clues? ... # Specify the ssh protocols accepted, default was Protocol 2,1 ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Kudos to Putty developers, answer not necessary
      ... and noticed that the Putty terminals to both *nix servers that I had ... If you are frequently in need of persistent ssh terminals and don't ... want to have to rely on not only the stability of a given ssh client ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: X11 forwarding
      ... When I log on to a remote shell using putty and run a java gui app, the backspace and arrow keys to do not work. ... If I run cygwin's ssh from the command line, ...
      (comp.security.ssh)
    • Re: tightvnc & ssh
      ... > I can ssh to my mandrake box. ... I got a connection error (I forget the exact error ... Which seems to mean that I can't just use tightvnc on the windows ... There is a product called putty. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)
    • Re: sshd putty and DSA
      ... > configuring putty to connect to openssh server. ... >> Trying public key authentication. ... > Registro de Direcciones de Internet para America Latina y el Caribe ... Select RSA or DSA with the SSH 2 protocol. ...
      (SSH)