ssh help - Red Hat LINUX 7.3

From: Karl Tipple (krt_at_iteris.com)
Date: 05/02/03

    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 11:18:38 -0700

    To Whom It May Concern:

    I have ssh version 3.1p1 installed on my Red Hat LINUX 7.3 box, and am
    trying to log into it from a Windoz 98 box using the "PuTTY" client designed
    for this purpose. So far, all I get is a perpetually blank terminal window.

    I've verified that BOTH machines are connected to my Ethernet network and
    can "ping" each other. I can also use regular ftp and telnet with no
    problems.
    From all of this, I assume I have left something out of the configuration or
    setup.
    PuTTY seems fairly straight forward.

    The problem and the question:
    I have RTFM repeatedly on ssh, but I'm STILL clueless as to how to configure
    ssh prior to its first use. Are there any plain-language "ssh for Dummies"
    instructions
    published for first-time novice users of ssh?

    Thank you in advance for your help.

    --Karl