SSH tunnel problem -- buffering data...

From: Brian Genisio (briangenisio_at_yahoo.com)
Date: 05/01/03

    Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 08:08:08 -0700 (PDT)
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com

    Hi all...

    I am using SSH to tunnel (Using LocalForwarding ports) from one application to
    another. The system exists of a controller software in Linux (where the SSH
    server resides), and the actual software in Cygwin.

    Cygwin connects to the Linux SSH server and sets up a port forward. The Linux
    app sends a small amount of data (about 12 bytes) 30 times per second.

    The problem is that the Cygwin/SSH side of the tunnel is buffering the data
    before it sends it to the Cygwin app. The result is the data is received in
    bursts, and the control is not fluid.

    I have tried this system in a Linux to Linux situation, and the buffering did
    not happen. Also, I have tried sending data from Cygwin to Linux, and the
    buffering does not happen. It only happens when data is being sent from Linux
    to Cygwin.

    I have also tried switching between LocalForward and RemoteForward, and it is
    the dirction that matters, not the type of port forwarding.

    Both sides sets the TCP_NODELAY flag before it starts sending, and I know the
    SSH code does the same...

    I should also add that none of this is noticed if SSH is taken out of the loop.

    Any ideas?
    Brian

    http://search.yahoo.com

    • Re: root trying to ssh but being denied
      ... > users to ssh to this machine. ... they were both from machines running Linux: ... PORT STATE SERVICE ... TCP Sequence Prediction: Class=random positive increments ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Real Survivalists Dont Do Windoze
      ... I'm on a Red Hat Linux laptop running TightVNC over a ssh tunnel ... 'Source port' is your port of choice for your VNC-client to connect. ...
      (misc.survivalism)
    • Re: Real Survivalists Dont Do Windoze
      ... I'm on a Red Hat Linux laptop running TightVNC over a ssh tunnel ... 'Source port' is your port of choice for your VNC-client to connect. ...
      (misc.survivalism)
    • Re: inbound connection through wireless router
      ... Installing an embedded-device Linux on a router sounds a bit daunting ... Can that port forwarding be done on an out-of-the box router? ... Can this be set up in such a way that I can still ssh into my home ...
      (uk.comp.os.linux)
    • Re: sshd question
      ... Three days ago my Linux box stopped ... piotrs from 201.63.24.60 port 46229 ssh2 ... Couple of things on securing ssh. ...
      (comp.os.linux.networking)