Re: How can I use sshd to satisfy my needs?

From: Brian Hatch (secure-shell@ifokr.org)
Date: 03/26/03

    Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:50:26 -0800
    From: Brian Hatch <secure-shell@ifokr.org>
    To: "Marcos D. Marado Torres" <marado@student.dei.uc.pt>

    > I'm looking forward to a way of running a ssh deamon in a
    > machine so that people who connects to it would be
    > instantly redirected (without any kind of autentication)
    > to a port using telnet protocol... (OK, this must sound a
    > bit confusing, I'll try to explain:)
    >
    > user -----> remote host ------> same remote host
    > ssh telnet
    >
    > In this way, for the user, making >ssh remote.host (some
    > port)> would result in the same thing as doing <telnet
    > remote.host (other port)>, getting the bennefict of
    > having the connection to "remote.host" encrypted.
    >
    > Any thoughts about how to do it?

    So you want SSH with no authentication, and then let telnet
    do the authentication? What is the point of this? Why not
    just let them use SSH entirely and forget the telnet leg?
    After all, that's SSH's purpose.

    You could probably do something like you're describing by
    creating a dummy user that had a shell that ran 'telnet localhost'
    automatically. This user would need to have no authentication
    required (probably whip up a PAM option for this user to let it
    in sans auth).

    But I still fail to see why this is a *good* idea.

    --
    Brian Hatch                  Why do we put suits
       Systems and                in garment bags