RE: Lock Account

From: Parsons, Rick (rick.parsons@eds.com)
Date: 02/24/03

    From: "Parsons, Rick" <rick.parsons@eds.com>
    To: "SecureShell (E-mail)" <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:19:56 -0000

    James said ...

    > Another drawback to this method is that now all the files that were
    > previously owned by "miguel" are now owned by "*miguel", potentially
    > creating confusion.

    Only because it stores owner's of files by UID's and checks /etc/passwd
    for the username string associated with that UID. If you change *miguel
    back to miguel, everything is owned by miguel again. It's important to
    not mislead people into thinking major system changes have occured when
    they actually have not.

    ---- My point precisely. That is why you shouldn't do it.

    Rick Parsons

    Bristol, England

    Relevant Pages

    • AW: Lock Account
      ... Easiest way with the usage of shadow is: ... >> Another drawback to this method is that now all the files that were ... >> creating confusion. ... >back to miguel, everything is owned by miguel again. ...
      (SSH)
    • Re: Photo of Denticulata
      ... Miguel M. Yalán ... To avoid any confusion I'd like to clarify that alone I wanted to send one ...
      (rec.photo.digital)