Open SSH and OpenSSL services

From: Leland T. Snyder (ltsnyder@x3ci.com)
Date: 02/13/03

    From: "Leland T. Snyder" <ltsnyder@x3ci.com>
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>
    Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:37:56 -0500

    I'm use to debugging services by attaching to the port the service is
    located on via telnet.
    This is a simple way to interface with the service and step through the
    command and authorization steps to see what is happening.

    When I switch a service to use stunnel to enable SSL encryption of the
    service, can I directly call that port via ssh to start an interactive
    session?
    Or do I need to "wrap a client" (as per the stunnel 'wrapping a client
    process' instructions) telnet to connect to the service port?

    Given: RedHat 8.0 all patches installed.
                Mem 1/2 Gig
                Processor (1.2 Ghtz Athalon)

    -Thanks in advance for the help.

    -Leland

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: Disabling telnet on Linux iptables firewall
      ... the 'telnet' client takes a port number as an optional parameter, ... even if likely to not survive the next upgrade of the ... else or there own client. ...
      (comp.os.linux.security)
    • Re: Where to go?
      ... Things are pretty open with Fibs. ... Fibs itself is a great place for the information, however run any telnet ... client and connect to fibs.com on port 4321. ... The thing about fibs is that all the clients do is act as a client around ...
      (rec.games.backgammon)
    • Re: Telnet port 25
      ... Subject: Telnet port 25 ... is the sole responsibility of the customer and depends on the customer's ... Configuring sendmail 8.11.0 for Anti-Relay ...
      (AIX-L)
    • Re: Linux Forums unreachable.
      ... DSL router, do you? ... web site that does not match linuxforums.org. ... interesting to see if the problem is specific to port 80. ... ray@RaysComputer:~$ telnet www.linuxforums.org 21 ...
      (Ubuntu)
    • Re: Suggestion for a lexical (login mode via TCPIP)
      ... Not sure of it is the right one to modify or to add another one, but it would be useful to be able to get information on whether the user us coming in via FTP, TELNET, etc. ... This would also allow a LOGIN.COM to check if someone is coming in through a secure/SSL port for instance. ... For the HP SSH server, it seems to be undefined. ... forget about the possibility of virtual terminals. ...
      (comp.os.vms)