Re: X and Ssh yet again.

From: Theresa Chen (therchen@cs.fsu.edu)
Date: 02/10/03

    From: Theresa Chen <therchen@cs.fsu.edu>
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: 10 Feb 2003 10:35:57 -0500

    On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 22:52, Jorge Aldana wrote:
    > Ok, I've tried several posted solutions but still get
    >
    > Error: Can't open display:
    >
    > when trying to launch an X app remotely.
    I am receiving similar errors in a way...Running Redhat8, I recently
    installed latest version of ssh. I also enabled the ForwardX11, however
    when I open a connection to a remote server and tries to pull up an X
    emacs, for example, I receive a message similar to the one below:

    Suspended (tty output) [process id]

    Problem never existed before the ssh upgrade.

    --Theresa

    > This is only true under version v3.2.2 (from ssh.com), under v3.0.1 it works
    > fine. I usually compile ssh using all the defaults, which lead me to recompile
    > using --with-x (well configure with) and the problem still persists. I even set
    > AllowX11Forwarding to yes in sshd2_config and ssh2_config (under /etc/ssh2 and
    > restarted the daemon), although none of this was ever needed under v3.0.1. I
    > then rummaged through the listings on this list and used several posted
    > solutions like:
    >
    > ssh -R 6009:localhost:6000 foo.bar.com
    >
    > or
    >
    > ssh +X foo.bar.com
    >
    > and then even tried setting DISPLAY manually and still get the dreaded "Error:
    > Can't open display:", not that I wanted to.
    >
    > I'm using several different OS's and they behave the same, or I get the same
    > behavior with the same version of ssh. Has something changed that has slipped by
    > me?
    >
    > Using v3.0.1 the DISPLAY variable is automatically set as it should but under
    > v3.2.2 there isn't even a DISPLAY variable listed.
    >
    > Anyone know of any possible hangups here?
    >
    > Jorge

    Relevant Pages

    • Re: which port(s) does the X server listen on?
      ... > but remote X clients are unable to display to it. ... things just quietly fail to display. ... Most of the time one would ssh to the box they want to run the ... If everything is setup ...
      (Fedora)
    • Re: Attempting to run remote X app
      ... > I'm attempting to ssh into a central server and run an X app, ... Make sure the ssh server is forwarding X connections: ... DISPLAY environment variable is set), the connection to the X11 display ...
      (comp.os.linux.x)
    • X11 Forwarding with OpenSSH
      ... We are able to do the X11 forwarding and it works as the user ... go into the environment as their ssh IDs. ... functional accounts with no direct access into the account). ... another way to set your Display or gettaround this limitation? ...
      (SunManagers)
    • Re: DECwindows over PuTTY
      ... I am using PuTTY to SSH to the emulated system. ... I am using Xming on Windows 7 as my display. ...
      (comp.os.vms)
    • RE: X11 Forwarding
      ... X and ssh are completely separate items. ... On my HP-UX and RH systems, I always needed to set my $DISPLAY. ... installing XFree86 on Slackware 9.0 after initial OS installation (using ... Server is OpenSSH 3.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7a ...
      (SSH)