Limiting access to only those who have my certificate

From: jason@corekin.no-ip.com
Date: 12/13/02

    Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 01:24:59 -0800 (PST)
    From: <jason@corekin.no-ip.com>
    To: <secureshell@securityfocus.com>

    I there a way to prevent to sshd from responding to anyone without a
    certificate created and signed on the server? Basically I am trying to be
    as secure as possible with my ports and I was thinking that if I could
    basically construct a certificate that I stored on a floppy, I could
    eliminate the possibility of someone guessing the password. Then as long
    as I never let anyone have a copy of the certificate file, my sshd would
    remain impenetrable. Is this possible to do? Will it do what i want? Am
    I crazy to be so concerned?

    Thanks for any help in advance.

    Jason Corekin