Launching ssh without a tty

From: Philip Le Riche (pleriche@altair.steria.co.uk)
Date: 12/06/02

    From: Philip Le Riche <pleriche@altair.steria.co.uk>
    To: secureshell@securityfocus.com
    Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:03:39 +0000 (GMT)

    On receipt of a specially coded email, I want to launch ssh to set up
    a vpn with a remote host. In my sendmail (8.10 I think) aliases file,
    I've got an alias like "|/users/me/vpn 2>&1 >>/tmp/vpn.out", and I've
    created a shell script /user/me/vpn which does

    ssh -v -f -N -n -l leriche.p -R 8099:localhost:99 $ipaddr

    If I su - to daemon (which sendmail uses to execute commands to pipe
    mail through) and then run my script from the command line, it works
    just fine, showing that it can find the necessary keys, but when I send
    mail to the alias, nothing seems to happen. Not even any verbose output
    to /tmp/vpn.out.

    I thought the -N and/or the -N would allow ssh to work in this
    environment, but apparently not. Any ideas?

    - Philip

    Philip Le Riche                            Voice: +44 1442 884390
    (Ouaithe qu'i' sait L'Riche, chu           Fax:   +44 1442 884943
    pourre baloque n ple pon l'Jrriais)    Email: pleriche@altair.steria.co.uk