research counting vulnerabilities per operating system? (more vulnerabilities in 2002?)

From: Jeremy C. Reed (reed_at_reedmedia.net)
Date: 01/10/04

    Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 11:33:57 -0800 (PST)
    To: security-discuss@linuxsecurity.com

    Dr. Dobb's Journal for February 2004 has an article called "Rethinking
    Software Security" that says "Linux had more vulnerabilities reported and
    security patches issued in 2002 than Windows".

    The same article mentions CERT and www.SecurityFocus.com as best
    resources.

    I know I read some articles talking about which operating systems have
    most issues. Can anyone provide some links?

    I also started with making a CERT chart for 2002 so I can quickly count
    them myself. Does anyone know if that is already done?

    (I am using the webpages at
    http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/bypublic?open&start=510.)

    Building a chart based on securityfocus.com postings would be a lot
    harder.

    Just because ten vendors provide fixes or report vulnerabilities in same
    software, that is only one single issue.

       Jeremy C. Reed
       http://bsd.reedmedia.net/