How to avoid being detected by a Network Scanner?

jglopez_at_servidor.unam.mx
Date: 05/18/03

    Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 22:25:32 -0500 (CDT)
    To: <security-discuss@linuxsecurity.com>

    Hello:

    My name is Jorge and I am from Mexico City, I work at the UNAM (Mexican
    Autonomous National University (http://www.unam.mx) and I would like to
    ask you about avoid being detected by a Network Scanner.

    I have installed Linux on a Sparc Station and I have been monitored by an
    externaal host, it used a Network Scanner called "GFI LANguard Netwok
    Scanner" , I have donwloaded it and installed on my PC, when I search
    the host that is monitoring my server the program tells me that "could
    not find the remote host" , aparently appears to be desconected but when
    I try to check if this host is alive with my web browser appears its web
    page.

    Maybe he/she has set something or disable something to avoid being
    scanned.

    Then I tried it with my own server and it displays EVERYTHING , the ports
    that are open, the kind of services that are running, the version of my
    Linux, etc.

    So this host have blocked somehow to avoid being detected by a
    Network scanner but it has running its web page.

    What should I do to do the same, I mean, to avoid others hosts running
    these network scanners on my server?

    I apreciate a lot your help, and I hope you can help me.

    Thanks a lot and sorry abut taking toyou your precious time.

    I will be waiting for your answer.

    Thank you very much.

    Sincerely Jorge