Re: block msn

lucasjr_at_hotlink.com.br
Date: 04/30/03

    Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:19:28 -0300
    To: security-discuss@linuxsecurity.com

    Hi Sergio,

    The former version of MS-Messenger used to connect through a specific port
    (1863), but newer versions don't have a specific port and can pass through the
    port 80( such as a ordinary HTTP Connection), this way is difficult to differ a
    simple http packet from a messenger packet.
    I have solved this kind of problem through the squid.
    Do you use squid in your network??? If yes, you can use the squid url_regex
    option and deny the connection to the Messenger central gateway(
    gateway.messenger.hotmail.com).

    Regards

    Lucas Albuquerque