Re: DMZ implementation

From: Paul Bryan (pa_bryan@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: 11/21/02

    From: Paul Bryan <pa_bryan@yahoo.co.uk>
    To: security-discuss@linuxsecurity.com, Paulo Abrantes <pcma@mega.ist.utl.pt>, David Ruben Elfi <dre@cooperativaobrera.com.ar>
    Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:36:22 +1100

    On Thursday 21 November 2002 07:52, Paulo Abrantes wrote:
    > On 20 Nov 2002 17:37:57 -0300
    >
    > David Ruben Elfi <dre@cooperativaobrera.com.ar> wrote:
    > > Yes, you have this type of service, but think in one thing: dns
    > > propagation.
    > > A change in your ip number would be propagate over all routers on the
    > > internet to make your service "on-line". This gap through actualizations
    > > can be long if you have a critical service.
    >
    > Good point, I never had thought on that.
    > That kind of actualizations might take a couple of hours to get
    > worldwide. Getting my services down for that time, it's a big
    > drawback.

    This is how I run my home system. I run a dynamic dns update program for when
    my ip changes. Of course there's some latency while dns propogates around the
    world but that's what I put up with for the lower cost of a personal
    connection.

    If your running a critical service then you shouldn't be relying on a dynamic
    ip!

    Didn't you say you had a static ip anyway?