Re: Single user mode changing root passwd ?

From: Bram Shirani (
Date: 03/07/02

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 13:00:45 -0600
From: Bram Shirani <>

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 01:43:13PM -0500, Allan M. Stewart said sometin like...
> I was surprised to learn that I could boot into single user mode and reset a
> forgotten root password. Isn't this a huge security hole? What am I missing?

Requires physical access to the box, and may be secured with a lilo or grub
boot (or BIOS) password.

Also - due to mail headers and threading issues, please try and create a new
message to the list when you are starting a new topic - don't simply hit
reply to an old thread.

     To unsubscribe email