Re: Share mail in NIS & NFS

From: Michael van Bracht (mvanbracht@intradat.com)
Date: 10/17/01

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:20:20 +0200
From: Michael van Bracht <mvanbracht@intradat.com>
To: security-discuss@linuxsecurity.com
Subject: Re: Share mail in NIS & NFS

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:45:36 +0530 (IST) Dharmu <dharmu@nsecure.net> wrote:

> Hi Victor
> If you are using NIS and NFS definitely the users cant see their
> mails from pine. You will be exporitng the home directory not the mail
> spool directory. I think you are not exporting that directory for the
> users.
> My suggestion will be to use the fetchmail utility on all the user
> s ( if you have less no of users or else export the mail direcotry)
> machines
> Regards
>
> Dharmendra.T
> Linux Expert
> nSecure Software(P) Ltd.
> www.nsecure.net
>
> On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Victor Manuel Banuelos Alvarez wrote:

        hi,

        i think there is another way to do it.
        from the description of the scene i seems like the mailservers running
        on the same machine es the nfs server. if thats true, all users could
        setup .promailrc files for their mail filtering, this rules would be
        accessed by the procmail programm which is started every time mail
        arrives at the mailserver, the mail is filtered, and saved in mbox
        files residing the the users home directory, if this is to insecure for
        you because the user can define the location of the destination file for
        the procmail filter rules, you can setup a global .procmailrc

        regards

        michael