Re: Firewall and NIS

From: Patrick Duane Dunston (duane@sukkha.homeip.net)
Date: 09/06/01

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:57:01 -0400 (EDT)
From: Patrick Duane Dunston <duane@sukkha.homeip.net>
To: <security-discuss@linuxsecurity.com>
Subject: Re: Firewall and NIS

> I set allow all traffic(all ports) from the subnet where NIS clients stay in to the NIS server. Now, the user can log in, an error message "nfs: server not responding, timed out." keeps showing. I tried log in with local root account and noticed that the volume is mounted but no contents there.
>
> Can somebody give me hint? My NIS system works fine before I set up the firewall.

Hi,

Are you using tcp_wrappers on the nis server? If so, did you add the
address of the internal nic on the firewall to your /etc/hosts.allow
file on the nis server?

--
duane

Love doesn't make the world go 'round. Love is what makes the ride worthwhile. --Franklin P. Jones

--

GnuPG Public Key: http://sukkha.homeip.net/pgp.html