Firewall and NIS

From: Jin Mao (
Date: 09/06/01

From: "Jin Mao" <>
To: <>
Subject: Firewall and NIS
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 11:41:37 -0400

I have a NIS server behind the firewall DMZ port and NIS clients outside the firewall. The client computer will mount users home directory after user logged in. The firewall is Sonicwall XPRS2.

I set allow all traffic(all ports) from the subnet where NIS clients stay in to the NIS server. Now, the user can log in, an error message "nfs: server not responding, timed out." keeps showing. I tried log in with local root account and noticed that the volume is mounted but no contents there.

Can somebody give me hint? My NIS system works fine before I set up the firewall.

Thank you.

     To unsubscribe email