[VulnWatch] Oracle Database Buffer overflows and Denial of service vulnerabilities in public procedures of MDSYS.MD (DB12)
- From: Team SHATTER <shatter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:50:13 -0400
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Team SHATTER Security Alert (Update)
Oracle Database Buffer overflows and Denial of service vulnerabilities
in public procedures of MDSYS.MD (DB12)
Jan 18, 2007 (Updated July 18th, 2007)
Risk Level: High
Oracle Database Server versions 8i, 9i and 10gR1
Remote exploitable: Yes (Authentication to Database Server is needed)
This vulnerability was discovered and researched by Esteban Martínez
Fayó of Application Security Inc.
Oracle Database Server provides the MDSYS.MD package that is used in the
Oracle Spatial component. These packages contain many public procedures
that are vulnerable to buffer overflow and denial of service attacks.
By default MDSYS.MD has EXECUTE permission to PUBLIC so any Oracle
database user can exploit this vulnerability. Exploitation of this
vulnerability allows an attacker to execute arbitrary code. It can also
be exploited to cause DOS (Denial of service) killing Oracle server
Vendor was contacted and a patch was released.
Restrict access to the MDSYS.MD package.
Apply Oracle Critical Patch Update July 2007 available at Oracle Metalink.
Application Security, Inc.
AppSecInc is the leading provider of database security solutions for the
enterprise. AppSecInc products proactively secure enterprise
applications at more than 300 organizations around the world by
discovering, assessing, and protecting the database against rapidly
changing security threats. By securing data at its source, we enable
organizations to more confidently extend their business with customers,
partners and suppliers. Our security experts, combined with our strong
support team, deliver up-to-date application safeguards that minimize
risk and eliminate its impact on business.
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
- Prev by Date: [VulnWatch] iDefense Security Advisory 07.18.07: Ipswitch IMail Server 2006 IMAP Search Command Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Next by Date: [VulnWatch] Oracle Database Buffer overflow vulnerabilities in procedure DBMS_DRS.GET_PROPERTY (DB03)
- Previous by thread: [VulnWatch] iDefense Security Advisory 07.18.07: Ipswitch IMail Server 2006 IMAP Search Command Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Next by thread: [VulnWatch] Oracle Database Buffer overflow vulnerabilities in procedure DBMS_DRS.GET_PROPERTY (DB03)