[VulnWatch] iDefense Security Advisory 02.07.06: QNX RTOS 6.3.0 Local Denial of Service Vulnerability
- From: "labs-no-reply@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <labs-no-reply@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 18:52:47 -0500
QNX RTOS 6.3.0 Local Denial of Service Vulnerability
iDefense Security Advisory 02.07.06
February 7, 2006
QNX Software Systems Ltd.'s Neutrino RTOS (QNX) is a real-time operating
system designed for use in embedded systems. More information is
Local exploitation of a denial of service vulnerability in QNX Software
Systems QNX Realtime Operating System (RTOS) allows attackers to crash
the operating system.
The problem specifically exists when a local user executes the following
echo -e "break *0xb032d59f\nr\ncont\ncont" | gdb gdb
Executing the above command causes the operating system to become
unresponsive and hang.
Successful exploitation allows local attackers to crash the affected
iDefense has confirmed the existence of this vulnerability in QNX RTOS
version 6.3.0. Version 6.0 was also tested and found to not be
Remove the GNU Debugger (GDB) from affected systems.
VI. VENDOR RESPONSE
The vendor has not responded to communication regarding this issue.
VII. CVE INFORMATION
A Mitre Corp. Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) number has not
been assigned yet.
VIII. DISCLOSURE TIMELINE
12/23/2004 Initial vendor notification
02/07/2006 Public disclosure
The discoverer of this vulnerability wishes to remain anonymous.
Get paid for vulnerability research
Free tools, research and upcoming events
X. LEGAL NOTICES
Copyright © 2006 iDefense, Inc.
Permission is granted for the redistribution of this alert
electronically. It may not be edited in any way without the express
written consent of iDefense. If you wish to reprint the whole or any
part of this alert in any other medium other than electronically, please
email customerservice@xxxxxxxxxxxx for permission.
Disclaimer: The information in the advisory is believed to be accurate
at the time of publishing based on currently available information. Use
of the information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition.
There are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the
author nor the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect,
or consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on,
- Prev by Date: [VulnWatch] iDefense Security Advisory 02.07.06: QNX Neutrino RTOS su Command Buffer Overflow
- Next by Date: [VulnWatch] iDefense Security Advisory 02.07.06: QNX RTOS 6.3.0 rc.local Insecure File Permissions Vulnerability
- Previous by thread: [VulnWatch] iDefense Security Advisory 02.07.06: QNX Neutrino RTOS su Command Buffer Overflow
- Next by thread: [VulnWatch] iDefense Security Advisory 02.07.06: QNX RTOS 6.3.0 rc.local Insecure File Permissions Vulnerability