[VulnWatch] Digital Armaments: CMU SNMP utilities snmptrad Format String Vulnerability
- From: "Digital Armaments" <vulnwatch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:54:40 -0800 (PST)
CMU SNMP utilities snmptrad Format String Vulnerability
The package is CMU-SNMP utilities. In the package snmptrapd is an SNMP
application that receives and logs SNMP TRAP and INFORM messages. The
daemon by default is to be listens on UDP port 162 on all IPv4 interfaces.
Since 162 is a privileged port, snmptrapd must typically be run as root.
For further information or detail about the software you can refer to the
II. Problem Description
There is a format string vulnerability in the snmptrapd server from the
cmu-snmp package. The vulnerability persists in the snmp_input() function.
An attacker could abuse this vulnerability from remote while sending
specially crafted packets. Successful exploitation consists of arbitrary
code execution, with root privileges by default.
This problem has been detected and tested on latest versions:
snmptrapd from cmu-snmp-linux-3.7 package
snmptrapd from cmu-snmp-linux-3.6 package
IV. Impact analysis
Successful exploitation allows an attacker to gain access to the system
with the root privileges (by default). Exploit code is required.
First notification 12.22.2005.
Second notification 01.09.2006.
No new version will be available.
Seregorn - seregon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx is credited with this discovery.
Get paid and get stocks by vulnerability submission
VII. Legal Notices
Copyright © 2006 Digital Armaments LLC.
Redistribution of this alert electronically is allowed. It should not be
edited in any way. Reprint the whole is allowed, partial reprint is not
permitted. For any other request please email
customerservice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx for permission. Disclaimer: The
information in the advisory is believed to be accurate at the time of
publishing based on currently available information. Use of the
information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There
are no warranties with regard to this information. Neither the author nor
the publisher accepts any liability for any direct, indirect, or
consequential loss or damage arising from use of, or reliance on, this
- Prev by Date: [VulnWatch] Re: [xfocus-SD-060206]BCB compiler incorrect deal sizeof operator vulnerability
- Next by Date: [VulnWatch] iDefense Security Advisory 02.07.06: QNX Neutrino RTOS libph PHOTON_PATH Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Previous by thread: [VulnWatch] [ Secuobs - Tools release ] BSS (Bluetooth Stack Smasher) fuzzer
- Next by thread: [VulnWatch] iDefense Security Advisory 02.07.06: QNX Neutrino RTOS libph PHOTON_PATH Buffer Overflow Vulnerability