[VulnWatch] Microsoft Outlook Critical Vulnerability
- From: "NGSSoftware Insight Security Research" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 22:51:13 -0000
John Heasman and Mark Litchfield of NGSSoftware have discovered a critical vulnerability
affecting Microsoft Outlook. The vulnerable versions include:
Microsoft Outlook 2000 (inc. Microsoft Office 2000 Service Pack 3 and Multilanguage packs)
Microsoft Outlook 2002 (inc. Microsoft Office XP Service Pack 3 and Multilingual UI packs)
Microsoft Outlook 2003 (inc. Microsoft Office 2003 Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2 and
Multilingual UI packs)
The vulnerability potentially allows execution of arbitrary code when the user previews
or opens a specially crafted email message.
The flaw has now been addressed and patches are available from:
NGSSoftware are going to withhold details of this flaw for three months. Full details will
be published on the 10th April 2006. This three month window will allow system
administrators the time needed to obtain the patch before the details are released to the
general public. This reflects NGSSoftware's approach to responsible disclosure.
NGSSoftware Insight Security Research http://www.ngssoftware.com http://www.databasesecurity.com/ http://www.nextgenss.com/ +44(0)208 401 0070
Mark Litchfield www.ngssoftware.com Tel: +44 208 40 100 70 Fax: +44 208 40 100 76 Cell: +1 253 414 4749
The information contained in this email and any subsequent correspondence is private, is solely for the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or privileged information. For those other than the intended recipient(s), any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any other action taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance on such information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this message in error, please inform the sender and delete this mail and any attachments.
The views expressed in this email do not necessarily reflect NGS policy. NGS accepts no liability or responsibility for any onward transmission or use of emails and attachments having left the NGS domain.
- Prev by Date: [VulnWatch] Microsoft Exchange Critical Vulnerability
- Next by Date: [VulnWatch] Cisco Security Advisory: Default Administrative Password in Cisco Security Monitoring, Analysis and Response System (CS-MARS)
- Previous by thread: [VulnWatch] Microsoft Exchange Critical Vulnerability
- Next by thread: [VulnWatch] Cisco Security Advisory: Default Administrative Password in Cisco Security Monitoring, Analysis and Response System (CS-MARS)