[VulnWatch] With regards to the Adobe Acrobat Reader advisory (#NISR03022004)

From: NGSSoftware Insight Security Research (nisr_at_nextgenss.com)
Date: 03/10/04

    To: <bugtraq@securityfocus.com>, <NTBUGTRAQ@LISTSERV.NTBUGTRAQ.COM>, <vulnwatch@vulnwatch.org>
    Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:11:03 -0000

    Hello all,
    I've been inundated with e-mails asking whether operating systems other than
    Windows are affected by XFDF overflow. Whilst I did not state that Windows
    is the only OS affected, and I should have done, I thought it was clear,
    incorrectly, that Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows was indeed the only one
    and not Mac, *nix, etc.

    From the original advisory:

    When the xfdf file is parsed an unsafe call to sprintf is made in
    preparation for outputting a debug message using OutputDebugString.

    OutputDebugString is a Win32 API function, exported by kernel32.dll.
    Conseqently, the vulnerable code path will exist only in the Windows version
    of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

    I hope this clears up any confusion.

    Cheers,
    David Litchfield
    NGSSoftware/NGSConsulting
    http://www.nextgenss.com/
    +44(0)208 401 0070

    • With regards to the Adobe Acrobat Reader advisory (#NISR03022004)
      ... Windows are affected by XFDF overflow. ... that Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows was indeed the only one ... OutputDebugString is a Win32 API function, ...
      (NT-Bugtraq)
    • [Full-Disclosure] Regarding Adobe Acrobat Reader advisory (#NISR03022004)
      ... Windows are affected by XFDF overflow. ... that Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows was indeed the only one ... OutputDebugString is a Win32 API function, ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • With regards to the Adobe Acrobat Reader advisory (#NISR03022004)
      ... Windows are affected by XFDF overflow. ... that Adobe Acrobat Reader for Windows was indeed the only one ... OutputDebugString is a Win32 API function, ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: Cant Download PDF
      ... Thanks for your response ~ I reinstalled Adobe Acrobat Reader and it worked ... great for about 3 downloads ~ NOW ... I am using Windows ME and made ... > Reinstalling or repairing Adobe Acrobat Reader usually helps. ...
    • Re: PDF alternatives
      ... computers - Adobe Acrobat reader or compatible? ... For a lot of people, they only have what comes with Windows and, as far as I know, Windows does not include a .pdf reader as standard and it would have to be downloaded and installed. ... There are still a huge amount of folk with computers who don't feel able to download and install stuff cos they either aren't aware they can or they are too scaredy of summat going wrong ... If it were me, I would give links to a .pdf and an alternate link to a text only file and let them take their choice - but you are way nicer than I am, so you will most likely jump through hoops for them :-) ...
      (uk.people.silversurfers)