[VulnWatch] SRT2003-11-11-1151 - clamav-milter remote exploit / DoS

From: KF (dotslash_at_snosoft.com)
Date: 11/12/03

    Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 15:07:16 -0500
    To: vulnwatch@vulnwatch.org

    Secure Network Operations, Inc. http://www.secnetops.com/research
    Strategic Reconnaissance Team research@secnetops.com
    Team Lead Contact kf@secnetops.com

    Our Mission:
    Secure Network Operations offers expertise in Networking, Intrusion
    Detection Systems (IDS), Software Security Validation, and
    Corporate/Private Network Security. Our mission is to facilitate a
    secure and reliable Internet and inter-enterprise communications
    infrastructure through the products and services we offer.

    To learn more about our company, products and services or to request a
    demo of ANVIL FCS please visit our site at http://www.secnetops.com, or
    call us at: 978-263-3829

    Quick Summary:
    Advisory Number : SRT2003-11-11-1151
    Product : Clam AntiVirus
    Version : clamav-0.60 through clamav-0.60p
    Vendor : http://clamav.elektrapro.com/
    Class : Remote
    Criticality : High (to clamav-milter users)
    Operating System(s) : *nix, cygwin

    Notice
    The full technical details of this vulnerability can be found at:
    http://www.secnetops.com under the research section.

    Basic Explanation
    High Level Description : clamav-milter contains format strings issues.
    What to do : disable syslog support, upgrade to clamav-0.65

    Basic Technical Details
    Proof Of Concept Status : SNO has proof of concept.

    Low Level Description : Clam AntiVirus is an anti-virus toolkit for
    UNIX. The main purpose of the software is to integrate with mail servers
    for attachment scanning. Clam AntiVirus works with Linux, Solaris,
    FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, AIX, Mac OS X, and Cygwin B20.

    Snapshot clamav-devel-20031111 and clamav-0.65 fix a potentially
    exploitable format string issue that can be triggered by a remote attacker.
    Only versions above clamav-0.54 that include syslog() functionality are
    vulnerable to this attack. CVS snapshots up to but not including version
    clamav-devel-20031111 may be vulnerable to attack. Versions clamav-0.60
    through clamav-0.60p are confirmed to be at least exploitable for a DoS
    condition. This issue only poses a problem for clamav-milter users.

    * 0.60q 11/11/03 Fixed handling of % characters in e-mail addresses
    * pointed out by dotslash@snosoft.com

    This issue may potentially be used to run code as either the clamav user or
    root depending on how clamav is configured. At the very least a DoS attack
    on clamav-milter can be caused using "mail from: %n%n%n%n%n%n%n" along with
    a test antivirus string which is used to trigger an AV alert.

    full details at http://www.secnetopz.biz/research/SRT2003-11-11-1151.txt

    Vendor Status : Promptly attended to the issue. Patched
    clamav-milter is available in clamav-devel-20031111 and clamav-0.65

    Bugtraq URL : To be assigned.
    Disclaimer
    This advisory was released by Secure Network Operations,Inc. as a matter
    of notification to help administrators protect their networks against
    the described vulnerability. Exploit source code is no longer released
    in our advisories but can be obtained under contract.. Contact our sales
    department at sales@secnetops.com for further information on how to
    obtain proof of concept code.

    Secure Network Operations, Inc. || http://www.secnetops.com
    "Embracing the future of technology, protecting you."