[VulnWatch] Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !

http-equiv_at_excite.com
Date: 07/23/03

    To: <vulnwatch@vulnwatch.org>
    Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:18:20 -0000

    Wednesday, 23 July, 2003

    Yet another quaint lead-up to "silent delivery and installation of an
    executable on a target computer. No client input other than viewing a
    web page" !

    This is getting boring.

    A myriad of technical hurdles have been recently placed to disallow
    access to files and folders on the local machine from the internet.
    Previously simple redirects could defeat that, but that too has been
    eliminated.

    Coupled with a myriad of existing possibilities of placing arbitrary
    files in known locations on the local machine, along with perhaps
    several other well known applications that create sensitive files in
    known locations on the local machine, accessing all of these with our
    trusty browser commonly known as IE, leaves us with ample opportunity
    to wreak further havoc on the unsuspecting customers of the
    manufacturer, one "Microsoft".

    For an ever increasing list of component possibilities seek here:

    http://www.pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/

    Once again the problem lies within our trusty and battle-hardened
    Windows Media Player. Two second creation of Zero second URL flip to
    local machine, allows us the desired access. Whether this is the
    result of a 'trusted' media file or not is unclear. Not important.
    Custom crafted media files seem to fail.

    Working Example:

    Fails on WMP 9 but fully functional on all others regardless of
    operating system:

    ATTENTION: demo is merely first step. Plug 'n Play any of the
    available components in the listing above for maximum results:

    http://www.malware.com/once.again!.html

    Notes:

    1. We appear to be going around and around in circles now
    2. We see no possibility of ever expending one red cent to this
    particular toy manufacturer. As such we are stuck with what we have.
    We would be interested to thoroughly examining the latest and
    greatest toys created by these people and should someone feel like
    lending us a couple shiny new machines with default installs of the
    latest and greatest toys, we'll be happy come to some sort of mutualy
    beneficial arrangement.
    3. None.

    --
    http://www.malware.com

    • Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !
      ... Yet another quaint lead-up to "silent delivery and installation of an ... access to files and folders on the local machine from the internet. ... result of a 'trusted' media file or not is unclear. ... latest and greatest toys, we'll be happy come to some sort of mutualy ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • [Full-Disclosure] Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !
      ... Yet another quaint lead-up to "silent delivery and installation of an ... access to files and folders on the local machine from the internet. ... result of a 'trusted' media file or not is unclear. ... latest and greatest toys, we'll be happy come to some sort of mutualy ...
      (Full-Disclosure)
    • Upgrading W2K to W2003K
      ... I am getting the following log file when attempting to use ... Adprep created the log file ADPrep.log under ... \schema.ini from installation point to local machine under ...
    • RE: Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !
      ... I can positively confirm this vulnerability on both WMP 7 and 8 on Windows ... The default Enhanced Security Configuration of IE ... access to files and folders on the local machine from the internet. ... result of a 'trusted' media file or not is unclear. ...
      (Bugtraq)
    • Re: [VulnWatch] Drivial Pursuit: Internet Explorer Browser & Your Files and Folders !
      ... The default Enhanced Security Configuration of IE on ... Windows 2003 does nothing to prevent automatically opening certain media types. ... > access to files and folders on the local machine from the internet. ... > result of a 'trusted' media file or not is unclear. ...
      (VulnWatch)