[NT] Novell iPrint Client nipplib.dll "IppCreateServerRef()" Buffer Overflow
- From: SecuriTeam <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 3 Sep 2008 17:13:05 +0200
The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com
- - promotion
The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.
Get your security news from a reliable source.
- - - - - - - - -
Novell iPrint Client nipplib.dll "IppCreateServerRef()" Buffer Overflow
"Neither you nor your users have time to devote to a complex printing
environment. That's why Novell iPrint extends print services securely
across multiple networks and operating systems. Using proven Internet
technologies, iPrint transforms your Novell Distributed Print Services
(NDPS) printers into Net-enabled printers, making all your printing
resources instantly accessible with a Web browser and a few mouse clicks".
Secunia Research has discovered a vulnerability in Novell iPrint Client,
which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.
* Novell iPrint Client version 4.36
* Novell iPrint Client for Vista version 5.04
* Novell iPrint Client for Vista version 5.06
* Novell iPrint Client version 4.38
* Novell iPrint Client for Vista version 5.08
The vulnerability is caused due to a boundary error within the
"IppCreateServerRef()" function in nipplib.dll. This can be exploited to
cause a heap-based buffer overflow by passing an overly long, specially
crafted string as argument to either "GetPrinterURLList()",
"GetPrinterURLList2()", or "GetFileList2()" as provided by the Novell
iPrint ActiveX control (ienipp.ocx).
Successful exploitation may allow execution of arbitrary code.
25/08/2008 - Vendor notified.
26/08/2008 - Vendor response.
03/09/2008 - Public disclosure.
The information has been provided by Secunia Research.
The original article can be found at:
This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.
To unsubscribe from the list, send mail with an empty subject line and body to: list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In order to subscribe to the mailing list, simply forward this email to: list-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.
- Prev by Date: [NEWS] Google Chrome Browser URL Handler Crash
- Next by Date: [NEWS] 3Com Wireless 8760 Dual Radio 11a/b/g PoE Access Point Malformed HTTP POST DoS
- Previous by thread: [NEWS] Google Chrome Browser URL Handler Crash
- Next by thread: [NEWS] 3Com Wireless 8760 Dual Radio 11a/b/g PoE Access Point Malformed HTTP POST DoS