[NT] Microsoft Windows I2O Filter Utility Driver (i2omgmt.sys) Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

- - promotion

The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

Get your security news from a reliable source.

- - - - - - - - -

Microsoft Windows I2O Filter Utility Driver (i2omgmt.sys) Local Privilege
Escalation Vulnerability

SUMMARY

Intelligent Input/Output ( <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I2O> I2O) is "a
defunct computer input/output (I/O) specification. i2omgmt.sys is a
Windows driver for the I2O Utility Filter". Local exploitation of an input
validation vulnerability within version 5.1.2600.2180 of i2omgmt.sys, as
included with Microsoft Corp's Windows XP operating system, could allow an
attacker to execute arbitrary code in the context of the kernel.

DETAILS

Vulnerable Systems:
* i2omgmt.sys version 5.1.2600.2180 as installed on some Windows XP SP2

This vulnerability specifically exists due to insecure permissions on the
\\.\I2OExc device interface. The permissions on this device allow
"Everyone" write access. This could allow a locally logged-in user to
access functionality designed for privileged use only.

Additionally, the IOCTL handlers for this device interface do not properly
validate user-mode buffer passed to them, so an attacker can supply a fake
DeviceObject pointer to a user-mode address. As such, it is possible to
overwrite arbitrary memory or execute attacker-supplied code in the
context of the kernel.

Analysis:
Exploitation allows an attacker to elevate privileges by overwriting
arbitrary system memory or executing code within kernel context. An
attacker needs to log-in to the target machine to exploit this
vulnerability.

This driver is related to I2O protocol and RAID devices. It is not present
by default on every Windows installation. However, iDefense found this
driver loaded on several systems we tested.

Workaround:
Removing write permissions for "Everyone" appears to prevent access to the
vulnerable code. Although no side effects were witnessed in lab tests,
normal functionality may be hindered.

Vendor response:
Microsoft has addressed this issue within Windows XP Service Pack 3. To
obtain Microsoft XP Service Pack 3, visit the following URL.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4

CVE Information:
<http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-0322>
CVE-2008-0322

Disclosure Timeline:
03/20/2007 - Initial vendor notification
03/20/2007 - Initial vendor response
05/12/2008 - Coordinated public disclosure

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by
<mailto:idlabs-advisories@xxxxxxxxxxxx> iDefense Labs Security Advisories.
The original article can be found at: