[NT] Microsoft GDI WMF Parsing Heap Overflow Vulnerability (MS08-021)
- From: SecuriTeam <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 9 Apr 2008 16:51:04 +0200
The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com
- - promotion
The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.
Get your security news from a reliable source.
- - - - - - - - -
Microsoft GDI WMF Parsing Heap Overflow Vulnerability (MS08-021)
A vulnerability allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code on
vulnerable installations of Microsoft Windows. User interaction is
required in that a user must open a malicious file or visit a malicious
* Microsoft Windows XP SP2
* Microsoft Windows 2003 SP1
* Microsoft Windows Vista
The specific flaw exists within the parsing of malformed WMF files. A
vulnerability exists in the GDI funcion CreateDIBPatternBrushPt used when
processing WMF files. Due to a mis-calculation of user data a heap chunk
can be under-allocated and later used resulting in a heap overflow.
Successful exploitation can result in system compromise under the
credentials of the currently logged in user.
Microsoft has issued an update to correct this vulnerability. More details
can be found at:
The information has been provided by <mailto:zdi-disclosures@xxxxxxxx>
The Zero Day Initiative.
The original article can be found at:
This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.
To unsubscribe from the list, send mail with an empty subject line and body to: list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In order to subscribe to the mailing list, simply forward this email to: list-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.
- Prev by Date: [NT] Vulnerability in Windows Kernel Allows Elevation of Privilege (MS08-025)
- Next by Date: [REVS] Microsoft Windows DNS Stub Resolver Cache Poisoning (MS08-020)
- Previous by thread: [NT] Vulnerability in Windows Kernel Allows Elevation of Privilege (MS08-025)
- Next by thread: [REVS] Microsoft Windows DNS Stub Resolver Cache Poisoning (MS08-020)