[UNIX] YaBB Forum member.vars CRLF Injection Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

- - promotion

The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

Get your security news from a reliable source.

- - - - - - - - -

YaBB Forum member.vars CRLF Injection Privilege Escalation Vulnerability

SUMMARY

<http://www.yabbforum.com/> YaBB (Yet another Bulletin Board) is "an Open
Source community forum system written in Perl". Remote exploitation of an
input validation error within version 2.1 of YaBB Forum allows attackers
to register with forum Administrator privileges.

DETAILS

Vulnerable Systems:
* YaBB Forum version 2.1

The problem specifically exists due to insufficient validation when
writing to the "vars" file for each user. By setting the values of
certain variables to contain certain characters, attackers can elevate
their privileges to that of the forum Administrator.

Analysis:
Exploitation allows attackers to obtain Administrator privileges, which
include the ability to modify forum templates (i.e., Perl code). This
allows administrators to execute arbitrary commands in the context of the
web server running the forum.

This attack can be performed during registration. This allows
unauthenticated attackers to obtain forum Administrator privileges at
registration time via the register.pl script.

Additionally, once registered, a forum user can modify their profile and
conduct this attack using the profile.pl script.

Workaround:
Disabling the registration feature of the forum mitigates this issue.

Vendor response:
The YaBB Forum team has addressed this vulnerability by releasing a
software update. For more information consult the following announce on
their home site.

<http://www.yabbforum.com/community/?board=general;action=display;num=1181678785> http://www.yabbforum.com/community/?board=general;action=display;num=1181678785

Disclosure Timeline:
05/23/2007 - Initial vendor notification
05/23/2007 - Initial vendor response
06/12/2007 - Coordinated public disclosure

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by
<mailto:idlabs-advisories@xxxxxxxxxxxx> iDefense Labs Security Advisories.
The original article can be found at:
<http://labs.idefense.com/intelligence/vulnerabilities/display.php?id=538>
http://labs.idefense.com/intelligence/vulnerabilities/display.php?id=538

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [UNIX] myPHP Forum Unauthorized Access
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... MySQL and PHP based forum. ... Lack of validation checks allows myPHP forum user to create new categories ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NT] ASP-Dev Multiple Cross Site Scripting Vulnerabilities
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The bbcode parsed by the forum code allows attackers to input JavaScript ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] My Little Forum SQL Injection
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... My Little Forum vulnerable to SQL Injection. ... If magic quotes are off you will have any admin/user password hash 'cause ... "You can be sure of succeeding in your attacks if you only ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [UNIX] My Little Forum XSS Vulnerability
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... My Little Forum is "a ... scripting vulnerability in the product allows remote attackers to insert ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [EXPL] Speedy ASP Forum User Pass Change (Exploit)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Speedy ASP Forum User Pass Change ... Forum is an Open Source ASP Discussion forum software designed to consume ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)