[NT] Centennial Software XFERWAN Stack Overflow Vulnerability
- From: SecuriTeam <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 7 Jun 2007 10:03:07 +0200
The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com
- - promotion
The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.
Get your security news from a reliable source.
- - - - - - - - -
Centennial Software XFERWAN Stack Overflow Vulnerability
A vulnerability allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code on
vulnerable installations of software utilizing the Centennial Software
XFERWAN component. Authentication is not required to exploit this
* Symantec Discovery 6.5
The specific flaw exists during the parsing of overly long requests to the
XFERWAN component. When logging requests, user-supplied data is copied to
the stack resulting in an exploitable buffer overflow condition. The
following disassembly excerpt from the logging function demonstrates the
004047A0 mov cl, Filename[eax]
004047A6 mov [esp+eax+890h+ExistingFileName], cl
004047AD inc eax
004047AE test cl, cl
004047B0 jnz short loc_4047A0
A lack of sanity checking on the size of 'Filename' results in an
exploitable stack-based buffer overflow vulnerability that can result in a
system compromise running under the context of the SYSTEM user.
Centennial Software states "Centennial has rectified an issue in the
XFERWAN component of Centennial Discovery which could be remotely
exploited by malicious people to compromise a system. Customers can find
instructions on how to identify if they are susceptible to the
vulnerability and correct, if necessary on the Centennial Customer Support
* 2007-03-07 - Vulnerability reported to vendor
* 2007-04-03 - Digital Vaccine released to TippingPoint customers
* 2007-06-04 - Coordinated public release of advisory
The information has been provided by TPTI-07-10: TippingPoint Security
The original article can be found at:
This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.
To unsubscribe from the list, send mail with an empty subject line and body to: list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In order to subscribe to the mailing list, simply forward this email to: list-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.
- Prev by Date: [NT] Macrovision FLEXnet boisweb.dll ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Next by Date: [UNIX] Samba Multiple Heap Overflow Vulnerability
- Previous by thread: [NT] Macrovision FLEXnet boisweb.dll ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Next by thread: [UNIX] Samba Multiple Heap Overflow Vulnerability