[NT] Macrovision FLEXnet boisweb.dll ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- From: SecuriTeam <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 7 Jun 2007 10:05:12 +0200
The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com
- - promotion
The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.
Get your security news from a reliable source.
- - - - - - - - -
Macrovision FLEXnet boisweb.dll ActiveX Control Buffer Overflow
A vulnerability allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code on
vulnerable installations of Macrovision FLEXnet Connect. Exploitation
requires the target to visit a malicious web site.
* Update Service 3.x
* Update Service 4.x
* Update Service 5.x
* FLEXnet Connect 6
This specific flaw exists within the ActiveX control with CLSID
85A4A99C-8C3D-499E-A386-E0743DFF8FB7. Specifying large values to two
specific functions available in this control results in an exploitable
stack based buffer overflow.
The vulnerable function / parameters include:
* DownloadAndExecute(), second of five parameters
* AddFileEx(), third of seven parameters
Macrovision has issued an update to correct this vulnerability. More
details can be found at:
Macrovision states "Notification was recently (January) sent to
Macrovision customers about the vulnerability and the correct way to
resolve it (patching to a newer version of the agent resolves the issue).
The exact timing of this deployment is left to our customers and
* 2006-06-22 - Vulnerability reported to vendor
* 2006-11-06 - Digital Vaccine released to TippingPoint customers
* 2007-06-04 - Coordinated public release of advisory
The information has been provided by TPTI-07-09: TippingPoint Security
The original article can be found at:
This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.
To unsubscribe from the list, send mail with an empty subject line and body to: list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In order to subscribe to the mailing list, simply forward this email to: list-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.
- Prev by Date: [NT] Symantec Ghost Multiple DoS Vulnerabilities
- Next by Date: [NT] Centennial Software XFERWAN Stack Overflow Vulnerability
- Previous by thread: [NT] Symantec Ghost Multiple DoS Vulnerabilities
- Next by thread: [NT] Centennial Software XFERWAN Stack Overflow Vulnerability