[NT] Symantec Norton Ghost 10 Service Manager Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- From: SecuriTeam <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 30 Apr 2007 16:21:59 +0200
The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com
- - promotion
The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.
Get your security news from a reliable source.
- - - - - - - - -
Symantec Norton Ghost 10 Service Manager Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
<http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost10 > Symantec Norton Ghost is "a backup and recovery application designed to allow users to completely restore their systems to previous snapshots".
Local exploitation of a buffer overflow vulnerability in Norton Ghost
could allow local attackers to run code as the SYSTEM level user.
* Norton Ghost version 10.0.
* Other versions may be vulnerable as well.
Norton Ghost Service Manager is a Local Server COM object that allows
privileged Ghost Backup Operators the ability to take and restore Ghost
images of the system.
A function within the Service Manager can be used to trigger a buffer
overflow by supplying an overly long string.
Exploitation allows local attackers to execute code as the SYSTEM level
In order to be able to exploit this vulnerability, attackers must have
tasking privileges for the Norton Ghost Service Manager.
Symantec has addressed this vulnerability with a software update. The
update is available via their LiveUpdate channels.
* 01/02/2007 - Initial vendor notification
* 01/09/2007 - Initial vendor response
* 04/26/2007 - Coordinated public disclosure
The information has been provided by iDefense.
The original article can be found at:
This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.
To unsubscribe from the list, send mail with an empty subject line and body to: list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In order to subscribe to the mailing list, simply forward this email to: list-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.
- Prev by Date: [NEWS] Novell eDirectory NCP Fragment DoS Vulnerability
- Next by Date: [NT] Stack Overflow in 3rd Party ActiveX Controls affects Multiple Vendor Products
- Previous by thread: [NEWS] Novell eDirectory NCP Fragment DoS Vulnerability
- Next by thread: [NT] Stack Overflow in 3rd Party ActiveX Controls affects Multiple Vendor Products