[NT] ICQ Client Cross-Application Scripting

- - promotion

The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

Get your security news from a reliable source.

- - - - - - - - -

ICQ Client Cross-Application Scripting

SUMMARY

<http://www.icq.com/> ICQ is a popular instant messaging application by
ICQ Inc.

Under some conditions the ICQ client is vulnerable to remote script
injection into the My Computer Security Zone of Internet Explorer's
component used to display advertisement banners.

DETAILS

Cross application scripting (XAS) is possible when an application
executes data in a security context different from the original content
(presumably one with less security restrictions). For example the data
may be obtained from an un-trusted source (a remote web server) that is
sent unfiltered into a trusted application such as when web content is
downloaded from a remote server, and then re-displayed on the local
host. Any application that downloads and then later displays and
executes web content (such as JavaScript) may be vulnerable to XAS.

ICQ Client has very annoying advertising function. Banners are displayed
inside Internet Explorer COM object embedded into main window, Welcome
Screen and every Message Session dialogs. Under some condition
attacker can replace HTML content in this forms with malicious script
which will be executed in My Computer security zone of Internet
Explorer.

Workaround:
1. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc
2. In File/Run menu type cmd.exe
3. In cmd.exe console type
echo 127.0.0.1 ar.atwola.com >> %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Disclosure Timeline:
* 5/2005 - Vulnerability discovered
* 4/2006 - Last attempt to contact vendor
* 5/2006 - Public disclosure

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by 3APA3A.
The original article can be found at: <http://www.security.nnov.ru/>
http://www.security.nnov.ru/

====================
====================

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages

  • [UNIX] KICQ Vulnerable to a DoS Attack
    ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... KICQ has a simple, clean interface very ... similar to the original Windows ICQ client, and includes all of the most ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
    (Securiteam)
  • [Full-Disclosure] MS web designers -- "What Security Initiative?"
    ... I commented on the uselessness of the "new, improved" MS Security ... like me whose security sensibilities require surfing with scripting ... the reason for today's swing at MS' web designers -- spam. ... window.parent.location.replace to redirect the page. ...
    (NT-Bugtraq)
  • MS web designers -- "What Security Initiative?"
    ... I commented on the uselessness of the "new, improved" MS Security ... like me whose security sensibilities require surfing with scripting ... the reason for today's swing at MS' web designers -- spam. ... window.parent.location.replace to redirect the page. ...
    (Bugtraq)