[NEWS] Gecko Based Browsers CSS Letter-Spacing Integer Overflow
- From: SecuriTeam <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 7 May 2006 15:26:01 +0200
The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com
- - promotion
The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.
Get your security news from a reliable source.
- - - - - - - - -
Gecko Based Browsers CSS Letter-Spacing Integer Overflow
Letter-spacing is a css property that specifies the spacing behavior
between text characters.
Improper handling of an integer number allows attackers to execute
arbitrary code by using the CSS property of Letter-Spacing with Gecko
* Firefox version 1.5 and above
* Firefox version 220.127.116.11 and prior
* Firefox version 1.0 and above 1.0.7
* Firefox version 1.0 and above
* Firefox version 1.0.7 and prior
* Thunderbird version 1.5 and above
* Thunderbird version 18.104.22.168
* Thunderbird version 1.0 and above
* Thunderbird version 1.0.7 and prior
* SeaMonkey version 1.0
* Mozilla Suite version 1.7 and above
* Mozilla Suite version 1.7.12 and prior
The specific flaw is due to incorrect handling of the CSS "letter-spacing"
element. By specifying a large number, an attacker can overflow an integer
used during memory allocation. The under-allocated buffer is later used to
store user-supplied data leading to an exploitable heap overflow.
affect Thunderbird via received mail, but without scripting to prepare
memory it may not be possible to exploit this condition in mail.
This vulnerability allows attackers to execute arbitrary code on
vulnerable installations of the Mozilla/Firefox web browser. User
interaction is required to exploit this vulnerability in that the target
must visit a malicious page.
2006.01.31 - Vulnerability reported to vendor
2006.01.31 - Digital Vaccine released to TippingPoint customers
2006.04.13 - Coordinated public release of advisory
The information has been provided by <mailto:zdi-disclosures@xxxxxxxx>
The original article can be found at:
The vendor advisory can be found at:
This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.
To unsubscribe from the list, send mail with an empty subject line and body to: list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In order to subscribe to the mailing list, simply forward this email to: list-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.
- Prev by Date: [UNIX] ISPConfig Remote Command Execution
- Next by Date: [NEWS] D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless Router Directory Traversal
- Previous by thread: [UNIX] ISPConfig Remote Command Execution
- Next by thread: [NEWS] D-Link DSL-G604T Wireless Router Directory Traversal