[NT] Internet Explorer DBCS Remote Memory Corruption (MS06-013)
- From: SecuriTeam <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 18 Apr 2006 12:44:04 +0200
The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com
- - promotion
The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.
Get your security news from a reliable source.
- - - - - - - - -
Internet Explorer DBCS Remote Memory Corruption (MS06-013)
This vulnerability affects systems that use Double-Byte Character Sets.
Systems that are affected are Windows language versions that use a Double
Byte Character Set language. Examples of languages that use DBCS are
Chinese, Japanese, and Korean languages. Customers using other language
versions of Windows might also be affected if "Language for non-Unicode
programs" has been set to a Double Byte Character Set language.
This vulnerability could allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code on
the victim's system when the victim visits a web page or views an HTML
email message. This attack may be utilized wherever IE parses HTML, such
as webpages, email, newsgroups, and within applications utilizing
* Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 on Microsoft Windows 2000 Service
Pack 4 and Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 1
* Internet Explorer 6 for Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
* Internet Explorer 6 for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
* Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 on Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft
Windows 98 SE, and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
URLMON.DLL does not properly validate IDN containing double-byte character
sets (DBCS), which may lead to remote code execution. Exploiting this
vulnerability seems to need a lot of more work but we believe that
exploitation is possible.
Microsoft has released an update for Internet Explorer which is set to
address this issue. This can be downloaded from:
* 2005.12.29 - Vendor notified via secure@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
* 2005.12.29 - Vendor responded
* 2006.04.11 - Vendor released MS06-0xx patch
* 2006.04.11 - Advisory released
7. [Mozilla Firefox IDN "Host:" Buffer Overflow]
8. [Mozilla Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 IDN Buffer Overflow]
The original article can be found at:
This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.
To unsubscribe from the list, send mail with an empty subject line and body to: list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In order to subscribe to the mailing list, simply forward this email to: list-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.
- Prev by Date: [UNIX] Outlook Express Windows Address Book File Vulnerability (MS06-016)
- Next by Date: [NEWS] Gecko legend object DoS
- Previous by thread: [UNIX] Outlook Express Windows Address Book File Vulnerability (MS06-016)
- Next by thread: [NEWS] Gecko legend object DoS