[NT] Cisco Security Agent Vulnerable to Crafted IP Attack
- From: SecuriTeam <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: 15 Jan 2006 19:04:47 +0200
The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com
- - promotion
The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.
Get your security news from a reliable source.
- - - - - - - - -
Cisco Security Agent Vulnerable to Crafted IP Attack
Cisco Security Agent (CSA) is "a network security software agent that
provides threat protection for server and desktop computing systems".
A malicious attacker may be able to send a crafted IP packet to a Windows
workstation or server running CSA 4.5 which may cause the device to halt
and/or reload. Repeated exploitation will create a sustained DoS (denial
* Cisco CSA version 4.5 when running on any Windows except Windows XP.
* Cisco CSA 4.0 and earlier
* Cisco CSA while running on Solaris
* Cisco CSA while running on Linux
* Cisco CSA while running on Windows XP
If a crafted IP packet with certain characteristics are sent to a Windows
platform running CSA 4.5, Windows will halt with a blue screen and system
crash. When exploited, the affected machine will require a reboot to
become operational again.
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability will cause a reload of the
This vulnerability is documented in the Cisco Bug Toolkit as Bug ID
This issue is fixed in CSA maintenance version 126.96.36.1996 which is
available for download at:
This issue is also fixed with CSA hotfix version 188.8.131.523 or later which
is available for download at:
There are no recommended workarounds for this vulnerability. Please see
the Obtaining Fixed Software section for appropriate solutions to resolve
The information has been provided by <mailto:psirt@xxxxxxxxx> Cisco
Systems Product Security Incident Response Team.
The original article can be found at:
This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.
To unsubscribe from the list, send mail with an empty subject line and body to: list-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In order to subscribe to the mailing list, simply forward this email to: list-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.
- Prev by Date: [UNIX] Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Remote Manager Heap Overflow
- Next by Date: [NEWS] ARP Attacks Access Point Memory Exhaustion
- Previous by thread: [UNIX] Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server Remote Manager Heap Overflow
- Next by thread: [NEWS] ARP Attacks Access Point Memory Exhaustion