[REVS] Anti Brute Force Resource Metering

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 03/23/05

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 23 Mar 2005 12:06:13 +0200

    - - promotion

    The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

    Get your security news from a reliable source.

    - - - - - - - - -

      Anti Brute Force Resource Metering

    SUMMARY

    The below linked whitepaper discusses how resource metering on the
    client-side, i.e. making him work to make brute forcing computationally
    feasible, works and the security advantages it can bring.

    DETAILS

    Abstract:
    Web-based applications authentication processes are frequently vulnerable
    to automated brute force guessing attacks. Whilst commonly proposed
    solutions make use of escalating time delays and minimum lockout threshold
    strategies, these tend to prove ineffectual in real attacks and may
    actually promote additional attack vectors.

    Resource metering through client-side computationally intensive
    "electronic payments" can provide an alternative strategy in defending
    against brute force guessing attacks.

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    The information has been provided by <mailto:gunter@ngssoftware.com>
    Gunter Ollmann.
    The original article can be found at:
    <http://www.ngssoftware.com/papers/NISR-AntiBruteForceResourceMetering.pdf> http://www.ngssoftware.com/papers/NISR-AntiBruteForceResourceMetering.pdf

    ====================
    ====================

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

    • [TOOL] Fast SYN Scanner (libnet, libpcap)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... struct bpf_program cfilter; ... const unsigned char *packet; ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [TOOL] P0f - Passive OS Fingerprinting Tool
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Machines that connect to your box, ... Official SYN+ACK fingerprinting support ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [EXPL] TinyWeb Server DoS Exploit
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [EXPL] 3Com FTP Server Buffer Overflow (CD)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... overflow in its parsing of the 'CD' command. ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [TOOL] Automagic SQL Injector
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The Automagic SQL Injector is part of the Sec-1 Exploit Arsenal provided ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)