[UNIX] Confirm Command Execution Vulnerability

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 02/26/04

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 26 Feb 2004 11:48:16 +0200

    - - promotion

    The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

    Get your security news from a reliable source.

    - - - - - - - - -

      Confirm Command Execution Vulnerability

    SUMMARY

     <http://freshmeat.net/projects/confirm/> Confirm is "a simple procmail
    script that uses a pattern-matching auto-whitelist to help identify
    unsolicited email". A critical security flaw was found in Confirm 0.62 and
    below that allows a remote user to craft a unique e-mail that will execute
    a command on the local system using the credentials of the user running
    confirm.

    DETAILS

    Vulnerable Systems:
     * Confirm version 0.62 and prior

    Immune Systems:
     * Confirm version 0.70

    Due to insufficient user supplied data filtering, emails containing
    special characters, like ",`,|,;,$ and so on in headers trick Confirm and
    lead to command execution.

    How to patch:
    Install confirm-0.70 from:
    <http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/confirm/confirm-0.70.tgz>
    http://hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/confirm/confirm-0.70.tgz.

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    The information has been provided by <mailto:emsi@GTS.PL> Mariusz
    Woloszyn.

    ====================
    ====================

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

    • [EXPL] phpBB Remote PHP Code Execution (viewtopic.php 2)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The following exploit code utilizes a vulnerability in phpBB to cause ... This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [EXPL] TinyWeb Server DoS Exploit
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [EXPL] 3Com FTP Server Buffer Overflow (CD)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... overflow in its parsing of the 'CD' command. ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [TOOL] Automagic SQL Injector
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The Automagic SQL Injector is part of the Sec-1 Exploit Arsenal provided ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [NT] SHELL32.DLL Denial of Service
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... As a user browses through his hard-drive, Windows automatically analyses ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)