[UNIX] Buffer Overflow in PostgreSQL's cash_words()

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 11/02/03

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 2 Nov 2003 17:54:43 +0200

    - - promotion

    The SecuriTeam alerts list - Free, Accurate, Independent.

    Get your security news from a reliable source.

    - - - - - - - - -

      Buffer Overflow in PostgreSQL's cash_words()

    SUMMARY

     <http://www.postgresql.org/> PostgreSQL is "an advanced object-relational
    database management system that supports an extended subset of the SQL
    standard, including transactions, foreign keys, subqueries, triggers,
    user-defined types and functions".

    A vulnerability in PostgreSQL's cash_words() allows attacker to cause the
    program to execute arbitrary code by overflowing an internal buffer.

    DETAILS

    Vulnerable systems:
     * PostgreSQL version 7.2.0 and prior

    Immune systems:
     * PostgreSQL version 7.2.1

    There exists a stack based buffer overflow in cash_words() function, that
    potentially allows an attacker to execute malicious code.

    How to reproduce:
    psql> select cash_words('-700000000000000000000000000000');
    pgReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
     .... ....
    The connection to the server was lost...

    Solution:
    Upgrade to version 7.2.1.

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    The information has been provided by <mailto:mordred@s-mail.com> Sir
    Mordred The Traitor.

    ====================
    ====================

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

    • [EXPL] phpBB Remote PHP Code Execution (viewtopic.php 2)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The following exploit code utilizes a vulnerability in phpBB to cause ... This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [EXPL] TinyWeb Server DoS Exploit
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [EXPL] 3Com FTP Server Buffer Overflow (CD)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... overflow in its parsing of the 'CD' command. ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [TOOL] Automagic SQL Injector
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... The Automagic SQL Injector is part of the Sec-1 Exploit Arsenal provided ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)
    • [NEWS] PeopleSoft LONGCHAR and VARCHAR Data Upload (DoS)
      ... The following security advisory is sent to the securiteam mailing list, and can be found at the SecuriTeam web site: http://www.securiteam.com ... June 03 PeopleSoft contacted ... The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. ... In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages. ...
      (Securiteam)