[UNIX] Apple Issues Patch to Address Screen Saver Bypassing

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 07/16/03

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 16 Jul 2003 10:51:20 +0200

    - - promotion

    Beyond Security in Canada

    Toronto-based Sunrays Technologies is now Beyond Security's representative in Canada.
    We welcome ISPs, system integrators and IT systems resellers
    to promote the most advanced vulnerability assessment solutions today.

    Contact us at 416-482-0038 or at canadasales@beyondsecurity.com

    - - - - - - - - -

      Apple Issues Patch to Address Screen Saver Bypassing

    As we reported in our previous article:
    <http://www.securiteam.com/unixfocus/5JP051PAKI.html> MacOS X's
    Screensaver Can Be Crashed Allowing Full Access to Desktop, a
    vulnerability in MacOS X's screen saver allows local attackers to bypass
    it by sending it a large number of characters. Apple has now issued a
    patch to resolve this issue.

    Apple has issued a security update (2003-07-14) to address a potential
    vulnerability when a password is required upon waking from the Screen
    Effects feature, which could allow an unauthorized user access to the
    desktop of the logged in user.

    The patch can be downloaded from:

    The information has been provided by Apple.

    This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.

    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.