[UNIX] Apple Issues Patch to Address Screen Saver Bypassing

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 07/16/03

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 16 Jul 2003 10:51:20 +0200

    - - promotion

    Beyond Security in Canada

    Toronto-based Sunrays Technologies is now Beyond Security's representative in Canada.
    We welcome ISPs, system integrators and IT systems resellers
    to promote the most advanced vulnerability assessment solutions today.

    Contact us at 416-482-0038 or at canadasales@beyondsecurity.com

    - - - - - - - - -

      Apple Issues Patch to Address Screen Saver Bypassing

    SUMMARY

    As we reported in our previous article:
    <http://www.securiteam.com/unixfocus/5JP051PAKI.html> MacOS X's
    Screensaver Can Be Crashed Allowing Full Access to Desktop, a
    vulnerability in MacOS X's screen saver allows local attackers to bypass
    it by sending it a large number of characters. Apple has now issued a
    patch to resolve this issue.

    DETAILS

    Apple has issued a security update (2003-07-14) to address a potential
    vulnerability when a password is required upon waking from the Screen
    Effects feature, which could allow an unauthorized user access to the
    desktop of the logged in user.

    The patch can be downloaded from:

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    The information has been provided by Apple.

    ====================
    ====================

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.

    • Re: Our mutual border
      ... Homeland Security was incompetent in allowing 9/11 to happen. ... It's like taking Canada to task for the Ice Age. ... Sometimes politicians say really ignorant things, ...
      (rec.food.cooking)
    • George Galloway banned from Canada
      ... Anti-war MP banned on grounds of national security. ... Anti-war MP George Galloway has been banned from Canada, ... A spokesman for Citizenship and Immigration Canada said the decision ...
      (soc.culture.scottish)
    • Religion of Peace Trying to Blow Up Canada -- 17 Moslems Busted
      ... It seems Canada has been paying attention after all. ... Police seized bomb-making materials in a series of raids in Toronto, ... Canada's security and intelligence measures worked. ... Police said those arrested on Friday were all Canadian residents "of ...
      (alt.religion.islam)
    • Re: the republican war on science continues...
      ... Security and give the government the income it needs to run on and lower ... Canadian spending on health care administration had grown to ... United States if the U.S. implemented a Canadian-style health ... In Canada, an average of $917 was spent annually by ...
      (talk.origins)
    • Re: Happy New Year
      ... Is Canada also focusing on airline security? ... Washington is using this event to twist Canada's arm in joining forces ... this is causing some Canadian nationalists heartburn who see ...
      (soc.retirement)