[NEWS] Eudora DoS (Dotted Filename)

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 05/26/03

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 26 May 2003 17:50:28 +0200

    - - promotion

    In the US?

    Contact Beyond Security at our new California office
    housewarming rates on automated network vulnerability
    scanning. We also welcome ISPs and other resellers!

    Please contact us at: 323-882-8286 or ussales@beyondsecurity.com
    - - - - - - - - -

      Eudora DoS (Dotted Filename)

    SUMMARY

    Qualcomm Inc.'s <http://www.eudora.com/> Eudora is "a graphical e-mail
    client for Windows and Macintosh". A vulnerability in the product allows
    remote attackers to cause the product to crash by sending it a specially
    crafted filename.

    DETAILS

    Vulnerable systems:
     * Eudora version 5.2.1

    Example:
    Sending an email with the following syntax:

      From: me
      To: you

      Attachment Converted<CR>: "\B.A.A.A ... .A.A.A"

    (With 122 repetitions of ".A") causes Eudora to crash.

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    The information has been provided by <mailto:psz@maths.usyd.edu.au> Paul
    Szabo.

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.