[NT] Root Directory Revealing Vulnerability found in 12Planet Chat Server

From: support@securiteam.com
Date: 04/18/03

    From: support@securiteam.com
    To: list@securiteam.com
    Date: 18 Apr 2003 12:04:08 +0200

    - - promotion

    In the US?

    Contact Beyond Security at our new California office
    housewarming rates on automated network vulnerability
    scanning. We also welcome ISPs and other resellers!

    Please contact us at: 323-882-8286 or ussales@beyondsecurity.com
    - - - - - - - - -

      Root Directory Revealing Vulnerability found in 12Planet Chat Server

    " <http://www.12planet.com/> 12Planet Chat Server provides advanced chat
    functionalities aiming to offer discussion space for customers, partners,
    and visitors. It addresses the demand from all web sites and
    intranet/extranet portals willing to offer "sticky" services to their
    visitors as well as secure and reliable real-time communication to their
    customers. Its moderation option enables businesses to organize online
    chat conferences by inviting celebrities, experts to talk with visitors
    and moderate visitor questions through a moderation process."

    It is possible to disclose the root directory by sending at special URL

    Vulnerable systems:
     * 12Planet Chat Server 2.5

    The following transcript demonstrates the problem:
    Anything less then 3 times /qwe then you will only get a
    HTTP 500 - Internal server error

    Proof-Of-Concept exploit:
    [Input in browser]

    Error: 500
    Internal Servlet Error:

    java.io.IOException: bad path: C:\Program Files\12Planet Chat Server
    at java/io/File.canonPath
    at java/io/File.getCanonicalPath
    at com/sun/web/core/DefaultServlet.doGet
    at javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet.service
    at javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet.service
    at com/sun/web/core/ServletWrapper.handleRequest
    at com/sun/web/core/Context.handleRequest
    at com/sun/web/server/ConnectionHandler.run

    Vendor response:
    "Thank you for the bug report. We are currently analyzing the issues and
    will keep you updated on the progress. 12Planet will provide assistance to
    all the customers that are interested in the patch (email to :
    Best regards, Lei

    Disclosure timeline:
    21/02/2003 Found the Vulnerability.
    21/02/2003 Reported to iDEFENSE
    31/03/2003 Received rejection from iDEFENSE
    01/04/2003 Reported to 12Planet (support@12planet.com; bugs@12planet.com;
    sales@12planet.com; features@12planet.com)
    01/04/2003 Received response from 12Planet
    11/04/2003 Public Disclosure.

    The information has been provided by <mailto:der@infowarfare.dk> Dennis

    This bulletin is sent to members of the SecuriTeam mailing list.

    The information in this bulletin is provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind.
    In no event shall we be liable for any damages whatsoever including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, loss of business profits or special damages.